Wednesday, January 19, 2005

I’ve been doing drop-offs pretty much since day one of moving to Los Angeles. I’ve also watched the commercial angle of it become less and less effective. I believe it’s because of the increase of submissions through the internet. Although, it dulls the edge that I get from being repped by a top commercial agency I think it helps actors that would probably have a harder time getting seen and that’s a good thing. When I look at the physical condition of a bin of submissions, it tells what is happening. At least I think it does. It has been instrumental in turning my attention more to theatrical drops over the years. I mean I still drop to commercial CD’s, but not quite as much as before.

Today, while at Westside Casting, I looked closely at what CD’s has drop spots in the drop-off area because I didn’t want to drop to anyone who calls me in regularly. Joe Blake Casting is somewhere that I audition on a fairly regular basis and have booked in the past, but I had not auditioned there in 6 months. What’s up with that?!?! Anyway, I leave a photo and several hours later I get a call for an audition for tomorrow!!

Now, I don’t think getting this appointment had anything to do with my drop, but it sure feels good think that it might have. Maybe, just maybe, I’m helping my agents to help me. It just makes sense, I get 90% and they get 10%.

Tonight I attended a SAG Affirmative Action/Diversity Department event entitled “The Invisible American” – A Diversity Panel Discussion. The panel consisted of four television showrunners. They discussed diversity concerns and constructive packaging of performers of color and performers with disabilities. It felt like a “who’s who” of who I knew when I lived in New York, which was a great feeling. I had never seen so many actors of color and disabilities in one place.

It was great to have these industry professionals in attendance, but I felt these four guest where already headed in the right direction as far as diversity goes. I think it would have been more effective to get people the we could sorta “put on the hot seat”. In a respectable manner of course. Like the showrunners of “Friends” (ironically my first television job). I lived in New York and I remember it being quite diverse. I think we are making progress we just have to keep pushing.

No comments: