Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Audition: "Audi" @ ASG Casting. Alright, this was pretty funny. I had a feeling this was going to go well because I pulled up to a parking meter that already had 1:02 on it. That's good right? Besides, I'm loving the Valley these days; well, as much you can love living in crazy-ass LA. It seems like I drive "over the hill" everyday for one reason or another.

So I'm sitting, waiting my turn to audition and I noticed a woman with her son. The little guy was about 3 years-old and he was wearing a black "Black Sabbath" tee-shirt. Actually, the shirt looked like it was a woman’s shirt; maybe his mom’s. You know how girls/ladies will cut a regular tee shirt into a "super-sexy rocker-chick tee-shirt"? Well that's what this shirt looked like. I wasn't alarmed, I just thought it was...interesting that a 3-year old kid was wearing a black "Black Sabbath" tee-shirt that had been modified to be a "super-sexy rocker-chick tee shirt". I know, I know weird...hey it was just something I noticed.

Anyway, after a few moments two names were called to audition next - mine and the mother of the 3 year-old boy who was wearing the "super-sexy rocker-chick tee shirt".

So I immediately looked over to see if she was going to bring ‘lil man into the room with her.....

Let me explain; I had looked over the boards and the copy of the commercial and we were to portray husband and wife and there was a part where there would naturally be some intimacy - ya know, “American” commercial intimacy - not “European” commercial intimacy. Trust me; there's a difference. I experienced a little bit of it Spain…in a commercial….yeah, in a commercial….

Oh no, 'lil man is coming in the room.

See, the reason I was a concerned was because I didn’t know how ‘lil man would handle seeing his mom being treated like “my boo”. I, admittedly, haven’t been so great at treating anyone like “my boo” in recent times, but “BACK IN THE DAY!” I was pretty charming. Actually, I’m working on regaining that spark.

He’s just a kid; is he going to really understand that his mom is “working” and not “cheating on daddy” with some random Black man in a room with a camera? At first, I was like “I can’t trip this kid out by putting my hands on his mom”, but then I started thinking that I wanna get a callback for this commercial and I can’t really let ‘lil man get in the way. Maybe she shoulda left his tail in the car with a Capri-Sun and the window cracked two inches…just kidding.

I made the decision to “just go for mine”. So we slate our names and the session runner calls “action!” I do my thing as instructed then she does her thing, then the moment comes where I need to be a little “touchy feely”. I go for it; I kept it rated G for the most part, but I had to represent and keep it somewhat real, which meant putting my hands on his mom. A few seconds later I hear ‘lil man saying, in the slowest, faintest voice possible, “mommy, mommy” and right after that I hear the session runner going, also in the slowest, faintest voice possible, “ssshhhhhhhhhhh” to ‘lil man. It was completely hilarious!

So we reversed roles and did the same thing again and ‘lil man was a little better, but still quite confused. I don’t know how I didn’t just burst out laughing. It was so funny. I wonder if he went home and told his dad that he met his Black dad today and he was hugging mommy.

Geez, what if we both get a callback? I say bring the kid.

Audition: "Ford" @ Ross Lacy Casting. Fun time and it goes well…they should call me back.

Audition/Producers: "Chuck" @ Patrick Rush Casting. More good stuff with this one; my agent told me I was being called in on this based on my tape from auditioning for the pilot of the show back in March. I like that because it means my name is being mentioned unbeknownst to me and that is a good thing. It’s always been really important to me to make my name more powerful than my photo. I love creating new ways to go about the pursuit of this business. I don’t know if they are right or wrong, but they work for me.

Anyway, it was smaller role, but I and my agent felt it was a good move to get back in this office; especially at this time. The read went okay, not bad. I just think I might have been a little too big, but that could work for this particular show. When I was called in the room I wasn’t quite ready because they didn’t go in the order of the sign in sheet and it threw me a little, but it’s all good.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html

No comments: