Thursday, February 11, 2010

Audition: “Miracle Whip” @ Ross Lacy Casting. This was a simple Q&A type of deal. It went well and I learned something about how to handle similar auditions in the future.

After a long night of dealing with “Hollywood’s Finest” on the Sunset Strip I woke up to an email with the news that I had been released from my commercial avail for “Comcast”. Ouch! Oh well.

More…”news”. I won’t say “bad news” because I’m not taking it that way. I’m taking it as something that would have been nice to have gone another way, but didn’t…or hasn’t…at least not yet. What am I referring to? The cars.com commercial. While it was nice that it aired during the Super Bowl, in all honesty I was more excited about the notion of it running Class A during regular primetime long into the future. I also knew that in order for that to happen I would have to be included in the 30 second version because chances are slim that they would continue run the 60 second edit.

It goes back to the “Anatomy of a booking” Part One and Part Two; which I’ve written about before. There are so many steps in the process where things can get interesting…for better or for worse. I’ve experienced some of them. On the one end I’ve auditioned, been called back, placed on avail, booked, gone to wardrobe, shot and made almost $30,000 on a commercial before.

I’ve also auditioned, been called back, booked and have been cancelled/replaced/not approved 1 hour before my wardrobe fitting. Yes, I received the $500 and change session fee for my troubles…and the payment for the wardrobe fitting fee.

I don’t write this to complain. No, not at all. Actually, in a twisted kind of way it’s a positive thing…a very positive thing in fact. Why? Well, before I can get released from an avail I have to have been placed on avail. Before I can get cancelled/replaced/not approved I have to be booked in the first place. I look at it as the more I work in this business the more likely these things are to happen. From that standpoint I’m moving in the right direction…after all I booked a Super Bowl commercial!

http://www.stephonfuller.com

No comments: