Friday, April 29, 2011

Audition/producers: “The Protectors” @ Billik/Wood Casting. I was very happy with how this one went. I was pretty much off book, felt the beats in the scene and knew what I wanted to accomplish. This was kinda funny. After I parked on the street at Culver Studios I paid the meter and was walking towards the lot. I noticed a Black, late model Mercedes-Benz S55 AMG. As I got closer I could see that an actor, sitting in the drivers seat was going over the same sides as I was…and I recognized the actor. I didn’t know him personally; I know him from TV & Films. I thought to myself; “Wow, how is this guy going in for the same 3-4 page scene I’m going in for.” I could’ve easily believed he’d would’ve been “offer-only” on a role like that. So I went through the gate, found the casting office and signed in. A few minutes later he came in. He wasn’t tripping or acting like he didn’t want to be there. I could have taken it like “Why am I going up against this guy?” or “Hey, I’m glad to be the company of an actor that has been working for years at a higher level than myself”. I chose the latter. At the end of the day I’m going to go in the room and do my thing and whatever happens after that…happens.

The audition went really well with exceptions of flubbing a few lines at the very end. They seemed pleased, said “thank you” and were finished with me, but I wanted another crack at it. I wanted a cleaner take…and I asked for it. I saw the casting directors face, Jason, and I think he was a little surprised, but accommodating. They obliged and let me do it again. Of course, this time, I HAD to nail it or I wasted their time. I cleaned it up and was very happy that I asked for the second chance. I’m not sure the 2nd take was taped, but I didn’t want to drive home feeling that I should have spoken up in the room. The people that consistently work aren’t afraid to take charge in the room. I took charge in the room…of my 3-5 minutes.

As I was leaving the lot I ran into one of the actors, Tisha Campbell-Martin, that are in the scene that I had just auditioned for. I spoke to her briefly telling her that I’ve been a fan of hers for years and hope that I get to work with her on the show. Actually, I did kinda work with her, years ago, in my capacity as a reader for Casting Director Debra Zane. Great memory!

http://www.stephonfuller.com

No comments: