Monday, March 25, 2002

Today makes it a full year since I left my overnight job waiting tables at a Hollywood Hotspot on the Sunset Strip. What a year it has been. I didn't leave the job because I had a lot of money. Yeah, I did have several minor things going on at the time, but nothing that guaranteed cash flow. No, it was more of a leap of faith for me. I felt I was doing about everything in my power to further my career and I had to move to the next level somehow. It was time to cut the safety net.

The job was killing me dead in my tracks. I had been working graveyard (11pm-7am) for 2 1/2 years, in class, auditioning, attending CD workshops and not sleeping at all. The big question I had to ask myself was "will it be harder to stay in this job or will it be harder to leave and possibly have to come back?" My answer was to take my chances now!! So I did. I requested a 3 month leave of absence. My plan was to get some things done that I couldn't get to before, my website, a voiceover class and a dance class. Fortunately, I was able to do all three, no more excuses.It has been an interesting year. I have been challenged like never before. I have also booked jobs like never before, but most of them have not paid a whole lot. That is okay because it has given me the opportunity to build my resume. When I left the job on March 25, 2001 my tentative return date was June 29, 2001. That date came and I was no where to found, I wasn't going back with out a fight. I've had ups and downs throughout, not emotionally or mentally, mainly just financially.

At times, it really made a difference when that steady cash wasn't coming in. Which made it clearer to me why I am concentrating on TV & commercials at this point in my career? I've had to call my old job a couple of times just to "check the temperature" of a possible return. I remember doing it once at the end of September and then booking 2 gigs that week. I also remember almost not being able to go home for X-mas, having to give up cable TV, trying to keep my cell phone and pager connected and let's not get started on my car issues. Just got cable back and things are looking up. All in all it's been wild jugglin' the money, not being able to afford reprinting photos and having to use alternative methods.

For whatever reason I have really enjoyed the challenged, it lets me know that I have a pulse. A year later I still stay up all night, the graveyard schedule is etched in my mind. I normally go to bed between 3-5am. My agents know I made the jump and have been really understanding of it all. I have auditioned for gigs that they might prefer I didn't, but I just wanna work. I feel like I am emerging from the woods and I won't have to go back, but who knows. With the survival gig thing I have changed my tune from "I am on a leave of absence" to "I used to work there". I hope it stays that way. It's really been a blessing to have a supportive family and friends some of which I have never met. Thank & Peace!!

No comments: