Thursday, November 06, 2003

INT. Stephon's stuffy studio apartment-7:07am-

SFX: (Phone ringing)

Stephon: (After checking caller ID: "Dreamworks") Hello?

Production:
Stephon?

Stephon:
Speaking.

Production:
I'm sorry to call you so early, but Steven just arrived on-set and wants to shoot your scene today. Is it possible for you to come to set right away?

Stephon:
Ah....yeah of course.

Production:
Cool! Thank you so much. Look for me when you get here, I have very short hair.

Stephon:
Okay, see you then.

So that was my wake up call this morning. I've had worse calls. All of the sudden everything is NOW! The location is in Palmdale, about 70 miles away.

Put clothes in the dryer from last night
Shower & shave
Fill my cars' radiator with coolant, since I have a leak
Go to ATM

I'm finally on the road. It's a beautiful drive through the mountains of Southern California. I don't think I'll ever get used to the mountainous views of this region. It's pretty flat in Virginia Beach where I grew up, so the is a real treat.

I arrive at the location. I can't believe this. It is the largest set ever built for a movie. They constructed a whole airport terminal. I check in with production and get to my trailer and the first person is Lydia Blanco. I've known Lydia for a couple of years, we met doing workshops. I remember when she was new in town and a little frustrated with being non-union. Well here we are working together on a Spielberg production with Tom Hanks & Catherine Zeta-Jones. Dreams do come true.

The set is unbelievable to say the least. It is Hollywood magic at its best, you really get the feeling that you are leaving on a flight. I am part of a group of 5 airport vendors. We are introduced to Mr. Spielberg and he seems like a really nice guy. Shortly after I see Tom Hanks & Catherine Zeta-Jones. Tom is very funny and engaging. Ms. Zeta-Jones is absolutely beautiful, very sweet and doesn't take long show why she is a star.

We are informed by one of the AD's that since Steven put us in this scene at the last minute we will get one extra day of work added. This is great news; it'll pay for my trip home for the holidays. During one of the set changes I had a few words with Mr. Spielberg. I thanked him for the opportunity to be a part of his storytelling. I also told him that I thought I was the only man in the world who had never had coffee. He laughed and said maybe he & I are the only two.

The next 6-8 hours were spent rubbing shoulders with some of the biggest players in the industry. After wrapping for the day, me and the other vendors checked in our hotel, met for dinner and called it a night.

No comments: