Sunday, December 21, 2003

Today is the big day for my hair to be cut. Yup, the dreadlocked look is over for me. I've had dreads for 9 of the last 14 years. I'm just ready for a change. I've been trying for about a year to do it, but needed the right time set of circumstances. I didn't want to do it while working on "Good Morning, Miami" because I didn't want to possibly threaten a good situation. About the time that ended I was cast in "The Terminal". I didn't shoot until almost 4 months later; obviously I didn't want to change things from how I looked at the audition. So finally the zero hour is here. My little brother, Todd, does the honors. In 20 minutes I'm completely bald. WHAT!!!

Next on the agenda today is motocross riding with 2 of my brothers. We are really competitive, so there is a lot of "smack-talk" when I'm not at home. One of my brother's has a Honda CR125R and the other has a Suzuki RM125. Predictably, I came out on top. My brother's are quite talented, but they will never beat me on a motocross track.

Something else I usually do while riding is to get shaken up somehow....someway. At the end of the day I wanted to take a lap around the expert/Supercross track. It was a little wet, but I was doing OK. Then the whoops came. WHAT!!! I'd never ridden through real whoops before. I ended up somehow twisting the throttle wide open and going over the berm into the trees. When I say the trees I mean literally. I flew through the air and hit 2 trees 4-5 feet above the ground. I landed with a thud and was stuck under the bike among the saplings and vines. The first thing I did was to move my extremities; I wanted to make sure nothing was broken or worse. After a moment I was able to get up. My brothers and the other riders had gone back to their vehicles to pack up for the day, so I was out there alone.

I didn't want anyone to see me so know one would know what "really" happened. I got stuck 3 separate times. Finally someone came looking for me, but I was really in the woods and you couldn't see me from the track. It took me 15 minutes to get out of there. As I made my way back to the truck my brother was coming to look for me. He wasn't very happy as I explained what happened. Later that night I self-diagnosed myself with several bruised ribs. I need to develop more fear of getting hurt. I have a dream to be able ride at one of pro races as a "celebrity". That even sounds funny, but I can dream right? While we're on the subject, I also want to ride in fighter jet.

No comments: