Thursday, December 02, 2004

Audition: "Direct TV" @ ASG Casting. This one goes really well. I have one question. Will I ever book another commercial? ahhh..........of course I will. Actually, I got a residual yesterday for this really small commercial I did about 6 months ago. So I, at least, still feel like I'm a part of the commercial world. I might need to take another commercial course to refresh my chops in that area.
I saw "The Aviator" today. Well actually I saw the beginning and the very end. I left to go to the audition I just mentioned and came back because Leonardo DiCaprio, John C. Reilly and Alan Alda were going to do a Q&A. My friend and I sat in the very front row because she's a huge fan of Leonardo and wanted to be really close up front for the talk. To be honest, I'm a really, really big fan of Leo myself. When I first started taking acting classes I heard all this Oscar hype about him and wanted to check him out. I vividly remember watching him in the very first scene in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape". My little sister, Avis, has Down's Syndrome so I've been around it all of my life and I know what it looks like. When I saw that performance I became a fan for life. Of course there have been several other films like "This Boy's Life", "The Basketball Diaries", "Marvin's Room" & "The Beach" that I have enjoyed as well. The Q&A was great. Everytime I attend one I leave feeling extra inspired about the career choice I have made. I met Leo at an ATM in New York (57th & 6th) back in '97. I told him how much I enjoyed his work in "Gilbert Grape" and he was quite gracious. I went on my way and his friend came after me and asked if I was an actor and if I had a card.....of course I did. I gave it to him. I didn't expect to hear from them and.........surprise......I didn't, but it was cool to meet him.
Since we sat in the very first row and watched what had to be the widest screen in Hollywood I knew I'd need to see the film again......from another part of the theatre. I'll check it again out soon.

No comments: