Saturday, December 04, 2004

I've attended hundreds of CD workshops in my years of pursuing my career, but one of the ones I attended today was probably the most interesting. The guest, Scott David, was fabulous!! He gave us a bunch of info on how things work in his office, his background, the tone of their shows, upcoming projects and the like, which is standard. Instead of giving out sides, he paired us up and gave us one word or a phrase to base an improv on. I was so impressed with what everyone came up with. I really felt like I was surrounded by a group of very, very creative people.Anyway, here's where it got quite interesting for me. I was paired up with a lovely young actress and our topic was "family feud". We had about 15 minutes to come up with something. We decided that we were a couple that was attending a family outing and we'd planned to announce our engagement. Her father, "Frank", privately gave her the news that I was his illegitimate son from an affair. Hence, we were siblings. I didn't believe it at first because "Frank" has a drinking problem and often "runs off at the mouth". My fiancé convinced me that it was true and then dropped the bombshell that she was pregnant with my child. WHAT!!!

==============================================

R RESTRICTED

Under 17 Requires an accompanying Parent or Adult GuardianThis paragraph contains some material that many parents would find unsuitable for children under 17 years of age. Parents are strongly urged to exercise great care in monitoring this paragraph and are cautioned against letting children under the age of 17 read unattended. This paragraph contains one or more of the following: intense violence (V), intense sexual situations (S), strong coarse language (L), or intensely suggestive dialogue (D).

==============================================

Around this time, the improv took a serious turn; I suspected her of knowing all along that I was her brother. Of course things became heated (within the scene) and out of the blue she slapped the SH*T out of me. OH--MY--GOD!! I NEVER saw it coming. The slap had not been rehearsed or even talked about. Everything in my world turned white for an instant. Pardon my French, but what the &*^% was she THINKING? Maybe she was just in the moment and wasn't thinking at all. I was in the moment too but I didn't B*&ch slap her! Luckily, I'm a pretty mellow guy, but another actor that was maybe "a little unstable" might have whipped her a** on the spot in front of everyone. If that would've happened I would tried to stop it because I don't like to see men beat up women, but at the same time if you slap someone like that you open the possibility of getting your a** kicked. She never even acknowledged that it "might" have been a little over the top. She definitely didn't apologize. The only thing she said in response to "ooohs and aaahs" from the rest of the actors was "Please, I didn't hit him that hard". She never said a word to me at all. No apology. Nothing. I spoke to the guest about my headshot and before I could get to her, she had left. A couple of hours later my ear stopped ringing so I guess I'll live. I'll have to have a word with her next time I see her.

Tonight I attended a birthday party of a couple of friends who I worked with in New York at The Harley-Davidson Cafe. It was great to see them. Of course it made me think of the incredible experience I had in New York and that so many of us are still in touch. There are literally 20-30 people here in LA that I worked with at the restaurant. I still thinks that's amazing.

No comments: