Sunday, January 30, 2005

This piece I’m in rehearsal for is a bit of a dream come true, I really hope I get to do it. I have always wanted to be in a military piece and be a soldier. Ya know, work out, yell, march, that kinda stuff. YES SIR!! NO SIR!!

Anyway, at the top of the piece, our group of soldiers march on stage. Since I’m the last one to enter I do the count because I can see when everyone is in place. I already start sweating because my rhythm isn’t all that great. So they come up with a chant/song and I’m like “oh sh*t, don’t you guys remember how long it took me to get it right in the play?” I’m thinking, ‘can’t someone else do this?’ They hit me with this call and response thing which goes like this.


ME:
I don’t know, but I been told!!

THE TROOPS:
I don’t know, but I been told!!

ME:
Bow-legged woman ain’t got no soul!!

THE TROOPS:
Bow-legged woman ain’t got no soul!!

ME:
Sound-off!!

THE TROOPS:
One-Two!!

ME:
Sound-off!!

THE TROOPS:
Three-Four!!

ME:
Sound-off One-Two, ONE-TWO….THREE-FOUR!!

I know it sounds really simple, but you have to understand that I’ve got two left feet and take me a bit longer to get things right. After a couple of times, I had my rhythm. So if you see a guy who looks like me in a car next to you yelling some chant it might actually be me.

No comments: