Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Today was a great day! I put my car in the shop for some routine maintenance, but it turned out I didn't need to get as much done as I thought. So, as a result, it was a bit cheaper than I expected. It's a Honda and if I take care of it, it will take care of me. I do my best to keep it relatively clean inside and out.

The best part of the trip was this: I drove to the other side of town to the shop with my bike in the trunk. After leaving my car, I rode my bike to the subway station and rode the train back to my side of town and rode the bike back to my apartment.

I LOVE riding the train! It reminds me of my years living in New York. I had SUCH a great time in NY, great job waiting tables at The Harley-Davidson CafĂ©, great friends and learned a great deal about how to run my acting career. Those things really helped my transition to Los Angeles, which has been fantastic as well. I am just the luckiest guy in the world!!! Okay, I’ll stop.

I wish it was more practical to take the train in LA – at least for me. It just doesn’t really go anywhere I need to go on a regular basis. I think I’m going to take it down to Long Beach one of these days and ride my bike down there.

I spoke to my older brother in Prague this morning (again for free PC-to-PC on http://www.skype.com/) and it’s really cool seeing the changes in him since he is a new father. He’s just a little different and seems to be having a ball with his 5-month old daughter Nikita. I thought it was interesting that he looks “up” to our youngest brother, Todd, as a role model of what to be as a father. That trips me out, but I’ll be the first to say Todd is “The Father of the Year”. My kid brother rocks; his children are really lucky to have him to raise them.

I also spoke to my older sister in Birmingham and she was talking about my niece and nephew in Virginia Beach spending a bit of the Summer with her family down South. That got me thinking…a huge part of my going home for a month is so I can hang with the kids. It would really be different if the kids weren’t there. Maybe I should carry my ass to Hawaii for two weeks and Virginia two weeks instead of a month in Virginia. That would suck if the kids were gone the whole time I was home, but I would have to understand; they have other Aunts and Uncles so I have to share them, lol!

Since I purchased an all day pass for the subway; it can also be used for the city busses. So I decided to take the bus to a pre-release screening of “United 93”. I can’t think of another movie that had me welling up in tears in the first two minutes; just knowing what was going to happen. The only other film that really broke me down good was “The Notebook” a couple of years ago. I was still quite fresh in dealing with my mother’s passing and “The Notebook” tore me up good, beautiful film. “United 93” was, for me, extremely moving. My body shook every time they said “LAX” “LAX” “….heading to LAX”. I couldn’t even move when it ended; you could hear a pin drop in the theatre that held hundreds of people. I cannot imagine what those passengers went through.

I’m sure most of us remember where we were when we heard the news of what was happening to our country. My girlfriend at the time and I were awakened by her roommate and she said “My mom just called and said ‘a plane crashed into The World Trade Center’”. Of course, that made no sense. It started to make sense when we soon witnessed second plane doing the same thing. Unbelievable – how could it be?

Several weeks before, a friend of mine, New York actor Dorian Missick, was in Los Angeles and stayed with me for a couple of days. He met with Denzel Washington several times for a role in “The Antwone Fisher Story”, took meetings and auditioned. While here, he booked a guest starring role on “NYPD Blue” I distinctly remember him saying “I come back out on the September 11th to shoot”. Now of course, the date September 11th didn’t mean anything special then, but I hit me like a ton of bricks when I thought he might have been on one of those planes. I frantically dialed his numbers and finally caught up with him – he had just gotten off the plane he was on as all flights had been grounded. Me? I was still shook because two days before the 11th, Sunday the 9th I felt my first earthquake in LA. OMG!!! That was freaking crazy! Nothing by LA standards, but for this East Coast Kid. WHAT!!!!? No more earthquakes and please, no more planes flying into buildings!

No comments: