Saturday, May 06, 2006

I had 3 commercial auditions yesterday. Well, actually I had two scheduled, but when I went to the first one I peeped what was going on in the next room. It was a “KFC” spot also being cast by Ross Lacy. While I waited to go in for my scheduled one, I scoped out the “KFC” to see exactly who was going in for it. I saw several African-American guys that were my type; some of them I’ve auditioned with before. Hmm, should I make a move? What should I do?

On the one hand Ross calls me quite often and there might have been a specific reason while wasn’t being seen for this one so I wanted to really think about my next move. Actually, this same scenario has happened before and I elected to let it ride for various reasons. So I figured I could do one of 4 things:
  • Try to straight up crash the audition and weasel my way in. (not likely, although I did do a version of that one time and booked a national “Pizza Hut” spot.)
  • Ask the session runner. (I didn’t want to do that; I recognized the guy and didn’t think it would work.)
  • Call my agents, let them know what I saw and see if they could get me in.
  • Be happy that I have 2 auditions and call it a day.

I thought about it for a minute and there is something to be said for being able to recognize an opportunity when it is in front of you. That is a sense I think I have and it has served me in the past. It’s exactly how I got the “Honda” gig I went to Japan for; it ended up being like $10,000 when it was all over. I can’t afford to possibly leave 10K on the table if I can do something about it. I could probably pick-up some new gym shoes with 10K…or better yet get closer to buying a condo.

I opted for choice #3 - call my agents. So I speak to Don, one of the assistants and tell him what I saw. He says he’ll talk to the agent and get back to me. Cool. The great thing about my relationship with my agents is that I have confidence that they will, at the very least, try to get me in.

It’s not that important to me if they actually do. Well of course I want to get seen, but they great thing is that they take me seriously. They could easily just say “Oh yeah we submitted you; maybe they’ll go another day.” I would bet that I was submitted, but for whatever reason was not given an appointment. Who knows what the reason might be, but the key is trying to change that. I am very selective about when I call them for these types situations; I don’t want them to think I call about anything and everything just for attention.

19 minutes later Don calls back with an appointment. Bingo! That made 3 auditions for yesterday – and they all went really well.

Yesterday evening I attended a celebration for one my commercial agents who got a huge promotion. I am so excited for her; it’s great to see people move forward in their chosen field. I’m always going on and on about how great it is to be represented by these wonderful people – I can’t help it. All of my agents and assistants were there and I even met some casting people. I almost felt like I was doing the “Hollywood Thing!!” I had a great time.

Afterwards I went to a surprise birthday party for my friend Tanika Brown. I hadn’t seen her for a good while and it really showed me how the internet makes me feel like I’m in touch with folks, but in reality I’m in touch in a virtual world kinda way. There’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s priceless to actually get out in the company of others and have human contact. I was only there for a little while, but Tanika, myself, Melissa Madison and others at the party had some great laughs and the internet can’t really compete with that. I’ve gotta do that more often.

No comments: