Saturday, July 08, 2006

The moment of truth arrives. Todd, Jeff and myself go to a track to just ride today instead of a sanctioned race. I was feeling good, great actually. I think Jeff knew from the beginning that he had nothing for me or Todd. Todd, on the other hand thought he had something for me. I thought otherwise.

After riding for a couple of hours I was actually growing as a rider, riding better than ever. Todd, thinking he was the man, dared me to say I wanted to race him. There was no way I was gonna back down from that challenge. We were both really tired, but agreed to do two quick two-lap races.

In the first race I screamed out into the lead and didn’t look back. I was riding my own race and feeling good. About half-way through I saw that Todd had fallen and I cruised to victory.

In the second race we both came out of the gate about equal with him having a slight lead into the first turn. There were many places on the track where I thought I could make the pass so I wasn’t too worried, but coming around this muddy right hand sweeper turn one of my contact lenses came out. WHAT!? I was trying to “blink it” back into place on my eye – while still trying to make the pass. It wasn’t to be; I eventually slid out and went down while Todd cruised to victory making it one win a piece.

Of course we had to race once more to make it the best of three. Todd won the blast to the first turn with me right on his back tire. Before too long I put a nice move on him for the lead. Then on the second lap I slipped up in the whoops and he got around me. At this point I was licking my chops because I knew I was going own him in this particular left hand turn. BOOM! I put it on him! Money didn’t know what to do! I’m telling ya! I did my thing and represented! Yeah! I was smiling all the way back to the truck. The ride home was nice AND I didn’t have to drive.

No comments: