Thursday, August 03, 2006

Audition: “The Game” @ Suzanne Goddard-Smythe. “The Game” is a spin-off of UPN’s “Girlfriend’s”. Both shows will be on the new CW Network this Fall. When I studied at Amy Lyndon’s Cold Reading Technique Class last Fall, one the guys in that class is one of the leads on the show, Hosea Chanchez.
...hmm...I'm not sure how this went. It wasn't a whole lot of dialogue, but I missed a major beat in the scene that I shouldn't have missed. It was right there on the page, but I didn't get it. Danielle Diller, the casting associate, pointed it out and I got it right the second time around...on to the next.

Okay, so one of my agents, Erin, calls this afternoon with a producer session appointment for "Without A Trace" - a show I really want to be on. Funny enough, I was doing drops yesterday in the building where this casting office is located. I stopped, looked at the door, pondered for a bit and decided against going inside and dropping a photo. Why? Well, my friend Denice dropped one for me a couple of weeks ago and I sent a postcard not too long ago as well. I didn’t want to be a nuisance, so I let it ride.

I'm glad I didn't drop a photo yesterday because, of course, I would've thought the call today was at least a semi-direct result of it. Thankfully, I’m certain my agent did not submit me for this particular role; so it tells me that I am on the mind of this office without too much prodding - THAT is the place to be! Actually, I'm glad my agent didn't submit for this role. Why? It's a very small co-star; that doesn't seem to have any chance of recurring. The exact type of roles I should do my best to not do anymore.

What to do, what to do. Well, me, like most other “professional auditioners” aka “actors” know how important it is to have an ample amount of appointments. On that level I wanted to attend the producer session tomorrow. I could tell by the message that Erin left I was being requested for this. She said she’d e-mail the sides and to take a look it and see if it was something I wanted to go in on. A little while later I viewed the sides and was real iffy about going in; which probably meant I shouldn’t go in. This is where I got a little sneaky and tried to prevent my agent from “saving me from myself”. What did I do? Instead of calling Erin back to confirm, I replied to the e-mail saying I was going to attend the producer session. I did call because deep down I knew I shouldn’t be going in and I probably didn’t wanna face that – I just wanted to have an appointment.

I guess Erin didn’t get my return e-mail because an hour later she called again to see if I wanted to go in. I try really hard to be a great client and don’t them to have to make unnecessary phones calls to me. So I called her back and told her I thought I was going to go to the session. She didn’t put me under pressure one way or the other, but said, “Why don’t you think about it and call me in the morning; the appointment isn’t until 4:30pm”? I said, “Well, I’ve seen the material and it is what it is”. THAT is when it hit me that I need to let her do her job. I said, “Yeah, okay I’ll think about it because I do need to draw the line with these types of roles”. She replied, “Okay honey, call me in the morning and we’ll go from there”. Cool.

I thought about it and hated to miss the session for, what I consider a “blue-chip” show. I used the same logic for going in on “The Game” today and decided to pass. 20 minutes later I called Erin back and told her that I would pass on the audition and hopefully they’ll call me for something more substantial in the future. She said “ok” and that if I changed my mind again, just call her in the morning and we’ll get you in. That is a prime example of my agent “saving me from myself”. Thanks Erin.

7 comments:

Melissa D. Madison said...

Give'em hell, Steph!

TanikaBrown said...

One day I hope to have problems such as these....(sigh). The grass is always...grass.

Stephon Fuller said...

Thanks M!

Trust me, I don't view them as "problems", more like "situations".

I'm just glad you're back and healthy.

Stephon

Tasia Sherel said...

Stephon, did this character have a name? Reason being, after I starting recurring on EHC after going in for a co-star role, I told my agent the I won't accept anymore co-starring roles. She quickly reminded me that my role as Pam was only suppose to be a co-starring role, it was never listed as a possible recurring. So I quickly reconsidered based on her point, BUT, I justified it since they gave her a name and not just "customer".....decisions, decisions!

Stephon Fuller said...

Hey Tasia,

No, the character didn’t have a name, but I wouldn’t make a decision simply based on that. It was more about what type of shows I have targeted from the very beginning and in what manner I’d like to be a part of them. Things I look at for co-starring roles are: (not necessarily in order of importance)

What is the character doing?
Who is he interacting with?
What network does it air on?
Is it potential demo material?
Is it SAG or AFTRA?
Is it one of what I call the “Blue-Chip” shows?
Where is the show at it’s series run and/or season?

I can sniff out a potential recurring role with the best of them, LOL! When I did “Good Morning, Miami” it was a 2-3 line co-star and I ended up shooting 14 episodes. I could sense that character was coming back. At the end of the day if I’m wrong it’s okay. Maybe it’ll be the first recurring role for someone newer to the game than me. You are right though – you never know.

Trust me, I’m not in the business of passing on auditions, but it is important for me to look at the bigger picture – or not, depending on the situation.

Have a great week!

Stephon

The Hot One said...

Hey Kids - I'm all late to the game :)

Great job Stephon...it's always nice to check in with your succcessful journey from time-to-time and how fun my girls are already here postin'.
Adios!
www.peppurchambers.com

Stephon Fuller said...

Hey Peppur

Thanks! I hope you are well!

Stephon