Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Audition: "Wendy's" @ Craig Colvin Casting. This went really well and I had a great time. I portrayed a husband giving birth. I've had numerous auditions, callbacks and avails at Craig’s office over the years, but have yet to book anything. By contrast, I did book a "Wendy's" spot that shot in Miami back when I lived in New York.

I have to say that my patience and optimism is amazing – even to me. I truly believe that I'll book again - soon, but I've been saying that for a loooong time. The last commercial I booked was 15 months ago in June '05; before that April '04 and December '03 before that.

The time frame curve is not encouraging, but I remain optimistic. In theory it would make sense that I won't book again until sometime next year. Could be, could be not. This is the where the beauty of our business comes in.

"theory" and "Hollywood Theory" are two completely different things. I understand "Hollywood Theory"; and of course I understand "theory". BUT, not only do I understand "Hollywood Theory", I live in it. I better, because if I don't understand it I should find another line of work.

When "Hollywood Theory" is working in your favor it’s a beautiful thing. I've experienced it; I am experiencing. "Hollywood Theory" really only makes sense in Hollywood.

In "theory" it doesn't make sense that I could book a "Pizza Hut" national commercial without appointment and then subsequently be hired for 2 additional ones.

It also doesn't make sense that I could seek out my two target LA agencies, send them a headshot/resume/cover letter from New York, fly out for meetings, sign contracts AND be happy after eight years of being represented by them.

Lastly, it doesn't make sense that I could book a job with Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks that would lead to another job with Steven Soderbergh and Al Pacino from simply walking to a casting office and dropping off my photo – actually putting it through the slot in the door.

Ooops, sorry - one more. It doesn't make sense that I could be working on one pilot, get a call for another pilot on the other side of town for a 3-line co-star role, be told that "they really just want to see you", show up and "get seen", read, get word that I have the job (without going to producers), before I even get home and have those 3-lines turn into 14 episodes over two seasons.

"Hollywood Theory" is a friend of mine! A good friend too. Why I am talking so much about it? It’s this same “Hollywood Theory” that will be responsible for me booking a commercial before “sometime next year”.

It’s kinda like “they” saying you have to “Pay your dues”, “it takes time for casting to want to see you” or “get in line”. Is that stuff true? I don’t know, maybe. It wasn’t all that true for me. I had 3 audition and three callbacks in my first week of being in Los Angeles and booked a TV gig and a commercial in my first 4 months. What line did I not get in?

I always wonder, who is “they”. The people that say:

“drop-offs are a waste of time”
“mailings don’t work”
“the only thing you’ll learn in a CD workshop is ‘don’t ask to use my stapler’”
“you have to have an agent to get work”
“commercials are just about a look”

The list goes on and on. I would love to meet “they”, but I can never find them. Don’t get me wrong, I am part of “they” too. But, I think the difference is that I’m not going to just pass on information that isn’t based in anything concrete. Bring on that “Hollywood Theory!!”

3 comments:

The Alan Heitz Show said...

“the only thing you’ll learn in a CD workshop is ‘don’t ask to use my stapler’”


Actually, the only thing I learned was who to send a postcard to and what their mailing address was. :)

Anonymous said...

It's living against the rules that makes one succeed. I'm realizing this now. All those things that people say "oh dont do this, dont do that, it doesnt work, blah blah blah..." That's why they are exactly where they are and will never move foward. They dont have the cajones to do what it takes, and take the chances, to get where they want. Great let them stay that way, and stay there. It will leave room for the ones who really want it and are willing to go after it...

Stephon Fuller said...

Ha! Fortunately, I was able to pick a little more that!

I don't think I "live against the rules" per se. But I have always had questions about "the system".

I don't judge others concerning their methods, but I do watch and listen very closely and learn a lot of what not to do. It also helps that I'm an information junkie - I wanna know everything.

Stephon