Tuesday, September 26, 2006

It finally happened again! I knew it would, I just didn’t know when. Now that I think about it; it happened in the same place as before – years ago!

This morning I’m on my way to move my car so I don’t get a parking ticket; this is where it starts getting fun – or funny. Since I don’t have parking where I live I have to move my car way more often than what is normal. I am a pretty even keeled person in most situations, but parking in Los Angeles drives me up the freakin’ wall. To keep me somewhat sane I have a skateboard so I can skate back forth to my car; it helps me forget having to park a half mile away. I love riding my skateboard.

So I’m skateboarding and I’m almost all the way to my car going from the street back to the sidewalk. There was a little lip on the curb; nothing the skateboard or I couldn’t handle, but I was hitting it at the wrong angle – and I knew it, but it was too late, I was going too fast.

The two front wheels of the skateboard hit the lip on the curb and stopped cold. The problem was that my body didn’t stop. At this point my life went into slow-motion and everything was completely silent. In an instant my body was 4 feet off the ground and perfectly horizontal. I could see the red curb clear in my view but it was too far away too for me to reach. About this time I began to descend back to earth and my glasses started to fall away from my face. I reached for them and touched them but they got away. At this point I had to use my hands to break my fall; hopefully my glasses would survive to guide me through another day.

I got my hands out (including my wrist that has been sore for months) to break my fall, but I kinda landed in that weird running position were you’re trying to get your feet under you. It didn’t work. I ended up “running” for a spell and then I did this weird, but cool as heck spin in the air. I spun around and landed on my back with a thud. I spun two more times on the asphalt and popped up and landed on my feet like I did it on purpose. I must’ve looked like a circus act; I wish I could’ve seen it.

So I land, gather my head back together and find my glasses. Cars are slowing down looking at me. I had the biggest smile on my face; it was an exhilarating feeling. At that point I realized that this whole thing happened because I was riding a skateboard. Where was that skateboard? Ummmm… I’m frantically looking around and there it is; in the distance in the middle of the street with cars slowing to dodge it. I sprint over, looking both ways and creep in the street to retrieve it.

I skated the rest of the way to my car with the biggest smile on my face. I so wish I could see the whole thing on tape – it had to have been hilarious. I scraped my knee up a little and my wrist is sore, but I came away okay. It could have been real ugly if a car would have been coming around that corner. I’m pretty careful, on my skateboard, bike, motorcycle and snowboard. I am a bit of risking taker – I can’t help it.
Not too long after getting back to my apartment and letting my heartbeat go back to normal my commercial agent calls with a callback for this afternoon for the spot I went out on yesterday.

Callback: “Miller Beer” @ Kathy Knowles Casting. This went great. They took us in in groups of 3, but we performed on our own. I went first and was really happy with how it went, but the guy who went after me was sooooo funny. To be honest I don’t think he knew what was going on – or maybe he was faking it. I don’t know, but that dude was funny. I still think they should cast me though – I love “Miller Beer”; I just don’t drink it.

7 comments:

Melissa D. Madison said...

(*air in my cheeks*)

Stephon, if I was not in public right now it would BE OVA'!......

Break a leg on this callback.

oops, maybe I shouldn't say that! :o LOL

Anonymous said...

wow! Wish someone had had a camera out! Glad you're ok and good luck on the Miller Beer commercial! :)

The Alan Heitz Show said...

I've done that many times. The only problem is I can't do it anymore. Three knee surgeries will do that to you and I also have beautiful arthritis! Thanks Skateboarding! You'd think I'd learn after the first knee surgery... NOPE. 2nd knee surgery came after doing a rail slide and losing my board and landing very weird. Severed my ACL. Would I do it again? In a minute. :)

TanikaBrown said...

Boy! What if you would have cracked your head open??? Don't get my pressure up today, Stephon Fuller!

(Cut to me leaning back on the porch in my rocker) LOL!

Unknown said...

Hey, maybe some webcam caught you and you can see if it's captured! :) Wouldn't that be good commercial reel footage?

Bonnie said...

Glad you're okay!

Stephon Fuller said...

Oh yeah, I'm back and ready to ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! until I bust my butt again - and it will happen again. I'm sure of it. It HAS too; I have 3 brother; 2 that talk a lot of smack. I talk a little too.

Stephon