Saturday, December 02, 2006

Wow, two interesting days in a row, but this time for a very different reason.

I've always attended acting related events around town. I did in New York and Virginia as well. Why? Because I'm an information junkie. I’m curious about everything - absolutely, positively.

Anyway, I attempted to attend an event yesterday, but was asked to leave by the guest. Why? Well, at first I thought it was a joke. Then I asked the guest why I was being asked to leave. Let me explain; this particular guest, a manager, speaks around town often and I attend if I can. During the events he usually called me out in some form or fashion, in a fun way, but no less embarrassing for me. It wasn’t “The Stephon Fuller Show”, it was his gig and I was a random actor in the audience. As a result others would assume I was a client of his – I wasn’t.

His problem with me attending was that he heard that I’m now consulting for a fee and he strongly disagrees with it. He went on about how I shouldn't be charging actors and that if I'm going to consult I should do it for free. This was in front of 25-30 actors.

I calmly listened to him with dignity; knowing that I have a tremendous amount to offer as a consultant and also that he's entitled to his opinion. But when he said something to the effect of "...do it for free and stop ripping off actors" I had to respond. "Ripping off actors?" What?! I say “whatever” to everything else he said, but to say that I need to stop “ripping off actors” was just stupid. What does he base that on in order to say it in front of 25-30 actors – some of which are my friends?

First, I had done a free event in the very same room less than two weeks ago and more importantly I'm doing anything but "ripping off actors". I very calmly told him exactly that, wished him a good day and left the room.

What was it all about? I don't know, but he's certainly entitled to his opinion. I must say, I would have expected him to handle it in a much more professional manner. The 25-30 actors there didn't attend this event to see a pissing match between him and I so I kept it short.

Could this be because I didn't accept his offer of management some time ago? I don’t know, I don’t think so. I had already hired theatrical, commercial and print agents for my team and didn’t feel it necessary to also bring in this management company at an additional 15% commission. If I’m going to pay 25% in commissions it better be for a good reason. Plus, I’m with KSA for commercials; why would I pay another 15% when I already have some of the best, most effective agents in the business on my team?

He thinks I gather information from him and pass it on to others; or sell it to others. Nothing could be further from the truth. Why would I do such a crazy thing? To be honest, the information that I hear at most of the events I go to is the reason why I need to consult actors and give them alternative ways of thinking. Most of what is passed on at these events, in my opinion, is “one-size fits all, general information”. What I offer is the complete opposite of that.
I remember one time, years ago, being on vacation in Virginia Beach and getting a call from his office asking if I was a groupie of his. I kinda laughed it off because I didn't want to draw more attention to me - that might have been a mistake. What it showed me was how off the mark he was about me. Groupie? Are you serious? What is there to be a groupie about? It's not like I subscribe to his philosophy of how the business works. That's pretty funny - or not.

It’s not that I think he’s a bad manager or anything like that; it just wouldn’t be a good fit for me - and fit is important. I’ve even recommended him to others over the years. I’ve kinda told myself that when I do decide to hire a management company it will be one that charges a 10% commission - yes, they are out there. I’ll shoot for a 10% manager when the time is right.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephon, I'm sorry to hear about that....that was a real jackass move on his part if I ever heard one...Those other actors should have followed you out, after all the free advice and help you've been giving all these years...It was reading about you 6 years ago when I lived in New Jersey that helped inspire me to come to LA...That person you speak of was my "manager" for a couple years...he's got a pretty good thing going, he did no more for me than any other agent would, yet he charges all his clients 15% commission...funny that HE talks about ripping off actors, what a joke..of course most of those actors stayed to listen to him, because there are actors that are desperate to get representation in LA, and they are happy to pay an extra 5% commission to get some kind of representation...There are a hundred cating directors that give workshops and charge money for their "advice",at that same place he asked you to leave from, yet I'm sure he has no hesitation sending his actors to their offices for auditions...You're the last person to EVER rip someone off....since when is selling you're knowledge wrong??? All the best to you Stephon!

Anonymous said...

Stephon, you're the consummate professional, in biz skills and in civility. When I get out to L.A., I'm booking a session with you.

Stephon Fuller said...

Thanks Bruno; I know you have first hand knowledge over there.

Thank you too Cole!