Thursday, May 10, 2007

Twelve years ago today @ 6:30am Eastern Standard Time I arrived on the island of Manhattan a.k.a. New York City from the suburbs of Virginia Beach, VA. In my wallet was $196 and not much else.

I spent the next 4 months living in the Hell's Kitchen area of Manhattan at 46th & 9th Avenue. Hell’s Kitchen was very different in '95 than it is today. Now it's a much, much nicer place to live. My arrival in New York wasn't my first time there, but I hadn't ever spent more than 3 days there at one time. I really had no idea what to expect; I didn't know if I'd adapt quickly or if NYC would systematically break me down. The only thing I knew was that I was on a mission and I was very, very serious about what I was trying to accomplish. It was an eye opening experience to say the least.

My living situation was basically a large room with 3 other actors (all smokers). I shared a full-sized bed with my friend Greg who I made the move together with and sometimes the dog. My job, at the time, was the worst job I'd ever had - I was a busser at The Harley-Davidson Cafe @ 56th & 6th. A hard thing to swallow was the fact that I was actually making less money than I made in Virginia Beach - I had a tough road ahead of me.

Oh yeah, the dog didn't like me all that much; one night he/she vomited in the bed I shared....under the covers....on my side...and the dog didn't tell me. How did I find out? Well, one night/morning after a long shift at work I got into bed and felt something cold on my foot.....yeah…pretty nasty.

Things could only get better - and they did. After several moves around town I eventually got my own bed, my own room and a promotion to a server at The Harley-Davidson Cafe that tripled my pay. The worst job I'd ever had turned into the best job I ever had. I even fired the talent manager who, after a year, still couldn't pronounce my name; immediately afterwards I signed with Stephon Fuller Management; right away things started to happen.

It blows my mind when I think back to what I've seen, what I've learned, where I've been and who I've met over the past 12 years. But what really blows me away is how much I've been able to give back to the industry that has given me so much. I think I picked up being a giver from my mother; I watched her give and do for others over and over again. She is a tough act to follow, but I try.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html

No comments: