Tuesday, November 13, 2007



Airing: Tuesday, November 13th "Bones" 8pm on FOX - please check your local listings.
Wow! I was out at Universal picketing in support of the WGA on the strike lines today and I don’t think I’ve ever seen that many celebrities in one place at a time. I saw quite a few people I’ve worked with in the past. I actually spoke with Ken Jenkins from “Scrubs”, David Kohan – showrunner “Good Morning, Miami”, John Amos – “The District” and Jere Burns also from “GMM”; he introduced me to Patricia Heaton. Generally, I’m not a star-struck person, but this felt more like peers in a professional sense. I guess that’s a good thing. Now that I think about it maybe I am a little star-struck when I go to the dirt bike races and see the riders do their thing up close.

Anyway, I hope this strike thing gets settled with a fair and equitable deal soon…very soon. This is a far reaching thing for very average working people just trying to make a living. I know because I’m one of them.

Cool! My scene on "Bones" aired as it was written. You never in these situations – and if there anyone who knows it’s me! I think I know a little too well. Obviously I did ADR so that told me that they were at least planning on using my stuff at that point. BUT! I don’t believe it until I see it. It is what it is and it ain’t what it ain’t….until it is…

I didn’t totally believe I was in it until I started getting calls from the East Coast and even then that was because they saw my name in the opening credits. Even that didn’t guarantee how much or little of the actual work they used. My little brother called from Virginia and just laughed so I couldn’t tell anything from that dude. I’d have to wait two more hours.

I must say I say was pretty happy with the results and they didn’t cut any of the scene. Within minutes of it airing I was already editing my demo reel. I’ve never had a demo reel before. I never thought it was that important for my particular situation so I waited until got they type stuff I wanted to showcase. I mean I could have cut one years ago with what I had, but I wanted to make sure it “furthered my cause” and was a legitimate tool for me and my representatives.

I felt it was smart for me to wait until I got “an anchor” before I put something together. That strategy fits better with “where I’m headed” versus “where I’m at”. So this “Bones” one hour drama piece coupled with my “Love, Inc.” half-hour multi-camera piece goes together really well.

I’m not an editor by any means, but I am looking forward to the challenge of trying to put something together on my own. I have a sincere interest in this technical side of the business. So I’ll cut something rough for my agents and go from there.

The strategy will probably be to have a one hour drama clip, a half-hour comedy clip and a 2-minute hybrid for my agents. And for me? I’ll have a “Long Ass Demo – Extended Mix” for my ego.

9 comments:

TanikaBrown said...

The TiVo is set for Tuesday, baby!

Stephon Fuller said...

Thanks Tanika!

TanikaBrown said...

Stephon,

Honey! You ripped it up last night! What? Gave it to them! Nice close up shots, excellent reactions...going mano y mano with the series regular. You TOTALLY held your own. Here is to many, many more! Congrats!

JAC said...

As an avid reader of your blog (recently in 3 days I read the whole thing from the beginning), I found it such a kick to see you in action, with a substantial (if relatively brief) role. Bravo!!

Stephon Fuller said...

Thank you for tuning in I really appreciate it!!

Wow Jon, you read the whole thing? I don't know whether to thank you or apologize for ranting so much...

Stephon

JAC said...

Yep, Stephon, I read the whole thing. (And I'm embarrassed that my praise doesn't read as enthusiastic as I meant it to be -- really, you were outstanding!! I cheered out loud in my living room when your credit came up! I also pushed your blog in the Bones discussion at the "Television without Pity" website, and it -- and you -- got some nice reaction there, so you may gain some new fans and readers from there.)

Anyway, I'm a university music teacher (theory, history, that kind of thing), and sometimes write about music and music theater. I looked at some actor blogs, and you know how one has links to more, and then that one has links? Yours kept coming up, and I just plunged in and read it all. You write really well, and bring the experience alive for someone who hasn't been through it. Thank you! (And congratulations again!)

Stephon Fuller said...

Wow, the whole thing.

Thanks again for checking out the show. Hopefully, I'll book soemthing else soon that'll be on the tube.

Also thanks for the comment on my writing because, funny enough, I've always been quite intimidated by writing and stayed away from it if I could.

Have a great Holiday season!

Stephon

Unknown said...

Well, I'm late commenting - 'cause late catching up on blogs - and I already fedback on Showfax - but I'll say again here that I really enjoyed that scene. You were very believable as the character and it fit right in with the story. I wouldn't have cut it either - it added vital info to the plot. Anyway, neat to see you in a whole scene, since I could be meeting you face to face in a couple of months when I'm in town. Yes, it'll give you some great footage for your reel. Keep on going!

Stephon Fuller said...

Thanks Naomi!

Stephon