Thursday, February 07, 2008

Picketing: @ Disney Studios. It would be nice if today was the last 3-hour shift for me on the picket lines. I’m tired, the city is tired and we all need to start making money and moving forward again. Rumor has it that there is positive movement in the negotiations between the WGA and the AMPTP so maybe my hope will become a reality.

It was a lively day today; I actually talked to several people while circling the Disney Studios lot. I spoke to an actor and a writer I worked with on “Bones” and had a conversation about the relationship between SAG and AFTRA with another actor. I feel really good about my contributions to my profession. Not just during the strike, but throughout my career; I think it’s important to not be just being a taker, but also being a giver. I learned the art of giving from my mother. I’ve gotten a lot out of being a professional actor and I’ve given a lot back. Sometimes, all I have to give is a smile and an encouraging word; others times I’ve given a bit more.

Audition: "Progressive Insurance" @ Ross Lacy Casting. The audition went well. I felt that I did enough, but not too much. That’s a very important balance I’m trying to find in my auditions. I don’t want to be boring and flat, but I also don’t want to try too hard and just come as…well, as someone that’s trying to hard.

This was kinda funny. Last night I went to a screening of Michael Moore’sSicko” and while waiting for the film to start I was writing in my PDA and then reading the book I had with me. The book is entitled “The Five Love Languages” by Gary Chapman. So there I am being my normal self; which is sitting all they way to the right, hat pulled low, minding my own business. This attractive, relatively tall, shapely African-American woman comes in looking for the “perfect seat” where she would be able to see without anyone blocking her view. So she sits in front of me. No problem, I could still see fine. She glanced back at her new surroundings, still wondering if she made the right decision. She looked at me and I smiled back, which is normal for me as I’m usually very friendly if approached.

A moment later she turned around again and asked if anyone was sitting beside me. I said “no” and she made her way back. As she squeezed her way in through the very tight seats in this particular theatre she put both of her hands firmly on my shoulders. This woman was about an inch taller than me – I felt her electricity. No! I really did. Touch! Is a very important way of connecting!

So she’s sitting beside me and we’re making small talk, very small talk. I don’t think she wanted to disturb me too much because I was reading and I already had to get up so she could get in the row to sit beside me. After another couple of moments I could feel her looking around again to see if she could find an even better seat. There was one behind me so she got up to move to that one and again I had to move so she could get to it – YES!!!! More electricity and physical contact – you know, the hands on the shoulder thing.

Before the movie started I put the book down, slipped out to the mens room and returned to read a little more. At that point she leaned in and asked if I was reading the book on my own or if my wife requested that I read it. At first I paused, because the question caught me off guard. Then, a second later it made sense – I still have the wedding band on from the “WaMu” commercial. LOL!!!! I told her “No my wife didn’t request I read it because I’m not married and I don’t have a girlfriend”. I explained to her that it was a long story, but in short, I had shot a commercial in which I was married and the prop ring from the shoot was a “good omen”. She didn’t know what to say to that. I couldn’t stop laughing. After seven weeks I usually forget that I have it on, but I guess it makes quite a statement. Why am I still wearing the ring? Because I can and it’s the beauty of being me – I don’t have to have a reason.
All that “electricity” and I didn’t even ask for her number…I don’t think she had a ring on so maybe she was available.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aw, you should have got her number! Sounds like she was interested. Ah, well. I hope you run into her again!

Stephon Fuller said...

I'm getting my mojo back for the '08. It's going to be a great year!

Stephon