Wednesday, March 19, 2008

There was a film I was a reader for several years ago that I also booked a role in. When I work as a reader I don’t attempt to work my way in the production. I do what I’m asked, but on this one after the first day of being a reader on this project the casting director told me that they were going to put me in the film somewhere. I ended up being a reader for several days and had a great time.

They eventually booked me and gave me a start date. When my day came to shoot I never received a call time from production so I called them the night before to see when and where I was supposed to be. I found that things had changed and I wasn’t needed. No problem, but I was a little annoyed that they never called to let me know – just a little. They said I’d be rescheduled soon. So I was rescheduled and when I showed up on-set I was taken to my room and before I even finished filling out my paperwork I was wrapped and was told that I’d be rescheduled again. I was never rescheduled and heard through the grapevine that the indie production had “financial difficulties”. I gave it a couple of months to see if I was going to get paid for my time and energy then called SAG to see what the deal was.

The really interesting part was that they finished enough of the film and sold it. Months later it was airing on a sister channel of a major network. I stayed on top of my claim with SAG and today received a check for two days of work plus penalties on a film that I only actually worked as a reader on – I never filmed any principal work. It was well worth those two days of “not working”.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, good to know. I'm not SAG yet, but I would have never thought to call the union about something like that. I probably would have thought it was one of those things I'd just had to suck up and move on.