Thursday, May 08, 2008

WOW! Talk about full circle or should I say “fuller” circle – no pun intended. I applied for a job today. Not just any job; my old job at the place I used to work at years ago. I say “fuller circle” as opposed to simply “full circle” because when I worked there I used to dream about “not” working there and coming back in a different incarnation. That exact thing happened when, about a year after I left, I booked a job that was to shoot in Japan and the fitting was held at my former place of employment. I thought that was “full circle”, but today the circle grew another dimension, to “fuller” when I filled out the application. Yes, it felt a little weird, but it wasn’t as bad and jarring as I thought it would be. There were several people that I knew from years ago when I worked there that greeted me warmly. Another thing that was weird was that I didn’t know how much I hadn’t forgotten about that experience until I was physically back in the space. It was a long time ago – but you gotta do watcha gotta do.

It was the logical place to return to. Why? Parking. I’m only sorta kidding. Parking in LA is one of the things that has the potential to drive me absolutely crazy. I’ll see what happens. Who knows, maybe they’ll hire me. At minimum, if I get the job, it’ll help keep me stable while I decide what I’m going to do in the near future. I’m not looking at it as my exit strategy away from my life as an actor, but I can’t help but think about leaving LA as often as it crosses my mind. It’s not a new thought it’s been that at least the last 5 years. I know I can make LA work for me I just have to try harder, be smarter and there are a few things I can change in my life.

One thing is that it’s more difficult trying to make a living booking co-star roles. So my approach is to relax a little more and not put so much pressure on myself. I’m not thrilled about doing those roles in the career sense, but at the same time I love being on set even in that capacity. There is no question that more guest-starring and beyond roles are in my future; I just have to keep moving forward. So I’m going to trust my foundation that I’ve so carefully built and get smarter with my hustle - whatever that entails. That doesn’t mean I’m going to sit idle; it just means that I’m looking at some things a little differently.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

No comments: