Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Audition: "American Airlines" @ Kathy Knowles Casting. This was a good audition and I would LOVE to book it. I am really, really overdue for another acting job that shoots out of town and points abroad and this one does. How about Dallas, Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Caracas & Shanghai...yes, I need to be a part of this production.

Traveling overseas for an acting job is a lot of fun; although I'm sure it can become not the greatest thing if you're away from your wife and missing your kids baseball games and dance recitals too often...I don't have a wife or kids yet so send me!

The audition was conducted by one of the session directors in town that really communicates with actors and he did me a huge in favor during my audition. The audition was a series of vignettes and I had some good stuff flowing. I know that if I can make this particular session director smile I’m doing a lot right. Three vignettes deep I was doing great!

That’s when I fell into the trap of trying to do more “great stuff”. My first acting teacher in Virginia used to call it “the call of the wild”; when you hear the audience approval and try to be even more entertaining. It rarely works and didn’t work for me. I KNOW BETTER than that!!! Or maybe I don’t.

Anyway, he stopped me, put me in place by telling me that we had three great takes and not to do too much on the fourth and fifth. He then rewound the tape to erase the last take and let me do it again – less was more. He didn’t have to do that for me and I really appreciated it. I did the 4th and 5th takes and felt great about it. Hopefully I’ll get a callback; my passport is ready to go.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

No comments: