Monday, June 01, 2009

To say it’s been slow would be an understatement. I think this is as quiet as it’s been for me since I’ve been in Los Angeles - almost 11 years. It’s okay though, I think I’ve needed to take a break from the race. What have I been up to? I’ve been working the night job thing, trying to rest, learning my new cameras, preparing to get my motorcycle license for street riding, riding my mountain bike, preparing to move to a new apartment, etc. A new apartment - THAT is what I’m really looking forward to and new furniture and stuff…I can’t wait, I’m counting the days…

Normally, at this time of the year I’m preparing for my Summer sabbatical in Virginia Beach, but things are different right now…and for the better, meaning I’m getting better. I still would love to go home, but I’ll get there in due time; I’ve got other things on my plate.

Audition: “Bank of America” @ Dan Bell Casting. This consisted of an interview about music, if we played an instrument and/or what we liked to listen to. Pretty simple, in and out.

I voted NO on the proposed SAG Theatrical contract. I couldn’t figure out how to do anything else but vote NO. In my opinion, it’s a horrible contract and I don’t how anyone who has really read through it comes up with a YES vote. I say that with all due respect.

Fortunately, for me, I’m a vested member in the SAG Pension & Health Program; which means I’m eligible to receive a monthly pension when I retire. There is little chance of that happening under this new contract proposal under the same types of jobs that I became eligible through. Why? Because under the proposed contract residual income will be greatly reduced. It seems that a certain faction of SAG is saying that isn’t true, but I’ve experienced otherwise.

Most every year the amount to qualify for a SAG pension credit and the minimums for insurance coverage increase. It saddens me when I think of actors now that have way less of a chance of even qualifying for benefits – much less being a vested member. Although, for the vast majority of my career I have qualified for the higher Plan I insurance I only have to earn $10,200 to qualify for Plan II – which is not bad…for me. An already incredibly difficult business is looking at losing much of its middle-class. I don’t like feeling this way, but I’ve always been straight-shooting realist.

I’m not sure where voting NO is going to lead us, but I am much more sure of where a YES vote will lead. I, personally, am not in a bad position career-wise, but I’m thinking about the ones coming behind me. Just like the members did for me many decades ago. Please educate yourself and don’t let SAG sell you the VOTE YES stuff without seeing why so many actors are unhappy with the deal the AMPTP is offering.

www.stephonfuller.com

3 comments:

Dani @ OKDani.com said...

Good luck with the move! I hope it goes smoothly! So exciting.

PS - you're the only person I know who says it's slow and then writes about a recent audition in the same post! :)

Laura Simms said...

Hi Stephon,

It was good to meet you the other day. I got my blog all set up, so you can see it at www.letterstoaaronsorkin.com.

You keep writing, I'll keep reading!

Best,
Laura

Stephon Fuller said...

Thanks Danielle, it will go smoothly - it has no choice but to go smoothly. I'm excited!

You're right about what I wrote about it being slow - I guess it's all relative as to what you're used to. Fortunately, it's picked up lately - at least commercially.

Hey Laura, it was a pleasure meeting you as well and thanks for the kind words. I checked out your site and really like what you're doing and your writing style.

See ya in the field!

Stephon