Friday, May 21, 2010

Audition/Tape/Producers: “iCarly” @ Krisha Bullock Casting. This went alright; I think I had a few good moments in the read…I have an underlying feeling about possibly working on an AFTRA show…I’m coming to terms with it though…I have to since many of the new pilots are AFTRA, but I’m going to keep chasing the remaining SAG shows that are left.

Another anniversary is upon me. What is it this time? Two years ago today I rejoined the workforce as something other than a professional actor…at the same job/place/position I’d left 7 years prior…yeah.

Happy anniversary to me.

How do I feel about this? Hmmm…good question. Well, on the one hand, of course, I’d rather be a series regular on a TV show or doing many more films and more commercials, but I’m doing what I need to do while I need to do it.

That being said; I have to say I’m handling it quite well. I am taking full advantage of having two jobs that I make money at. Sure, it can be quite exhausting, but some people are exhausted from looking for one job…I have two and they are both profitable.

In 2006, without question, the smartest thing I did was to enter my financial data into Quicken so I was able to see exactly where every dollar I had was going. In an instant I changed my relationship with money…for the better. I was never really bad with money; I always saved enough to be able to spend 6 weeks a year back home with family. BUT I was never really great with money either; I was just okay…like many of us. Being able to see the data on the computer in pie charts and graphs changed everything.

I have found that it’s much less about how much I earn; it’s much more about how much I don’t spend without knowing why I’m spending it. I have turned into an extreme saver.

Speaking of smart things…in 2008, without question, the smartest thing I did was to pick up a way to earn steady money in addition to acting. I tried a few things that didn’t pan out and ended up revisiting a place from my past. Admittedly, I had to find a way within myself to deal with it because I knew it could lead me to a nice-so-great place mentally.

So here I am, 2 years into the game, and it’s not…terrible. Actually, things are really good considering the reality of the situation. No, it’s not perfect, but the upside greatly outweighs the downside...by a long shot. I am making the best of what’s in front of me; while still creating a better future. I’m still making adjustments and trying to improve in other areas of my life, but I’d guess that is something that never really changes about most of us.

One thing, for sure, that working full-time has done is occupy my time. It’s also taken me away from constantly thinking about the business. THAT has been a great thing for me. Why? Because I have so many other interests outside of “the biz”. I’m even reading my second book this year! Imagine that! Two books in a year is monumental for me. I always read a lot; just not usually books. I’d read newspapers, magazine, online, etc., but not usually books….I was always envious of people who read books. This latest book was a gift from a friend written by Hill Harper and is titled “The Conversation: How Black Men and Women Can Build Loving, Trusting Relationships”. Kind of heavy huh? Well, it was recommended and I’ve always liked Hill Harper so I will at least give it a shot and try to get through it. I have a feeling it’ll be an easy read for me though. Thanks Frances.

As I mentioned earlier something else I’ve become really interested in is finance…my finances to be exact. I’m investing 20% of my pay into the company 401(k) program plus the percentage that the company matches and saving even more per month per month into a Roth IRA. Those vehicles for savings help to lower my taxes. I’m trying to position myself to buy a condo or house…maybe here in Los Angeles or home in Virginia Beach. I also would LOVE to get a newer car, but my ’98 Honda Accord with 152,654 miles runs just fine…and of course it’s paid for. So that wouldn’t be smart. I’ll have to settle for the iPhone 4G when it comes out.

Other good stuff is that I’ve earned enough to qualify for another year of SAG medical insurance and almost have the earnings required for a SAG pension credit.

So all in all, after 2 years, things are really good. I’m thankful for my employment and I’ve met some really good people that I work along side of. Will I be working there, slinging burgers ‘n Bud, in another 2 years? I don’t have the answer to that, but I do know that I expect to book many more acting jobs. Yeah, I’ve got something to offer that’s worth seeing.

http://www.stephonfuller.com

No comments: