Monday, September 13, 2010

Audition: “The Defenders” @ Felicia Fasano Casting. I have been trying to get into this office for years with no success, but finally it happened today. Not sure if it had anything to do with the general drop off of my photo last week, but I’ll take it any way I can get it. It’s been incredibly quiet from me lately, especially theatrically.

The role I went in for was that of the Master, the Legend…Sammy Davis, Jr. Yeah right. I mean, I don’t how know much I look like him, but I’d guess we are/were of similar stature and build. Dancing skills? Me a close 2nd. Nah, not really. Singing skills? I’m right there…hmmm, not even close. Me drinking on stage with cigar in one hand and a gin martini in the other? Now you’re talking! Few can drink and smoke like me.

The cool part was that, in the description, it specifically said that the role did NOT have to be an impersonator, just an actor who resembled him. Cool. So I did some research on him over the weekend and Sammy was a bad dude for real. Massive talent. Going in I felt fine because it wasn’t like I had to dance or anything.

Of course, as soon as I got there the dialogue had completely changed. It wasn’t a whole lot to begin with so the change was no problem. I go in and the first thing I’m asked is if I’ve ever “done Sammy”, LOL! “Oh Sh*t!, I’m thinking, but I didn’t trip on it. I just gave her what I had…which wasn’t enough. She gave me some direction and I did it again. I think she wanted me to “be him” because my look was in the ball park, but she said “Nah, you’re not Sammy and I’ve got real impersonators coming in. But you’re a good actor; I’m pulling your photo and I’m going to get you back in here for something good.” Then she said, “Sorry.” I replied, “No, this is great, thank you.” And I walked out feeling really good about myself. I have to add that I smiled to myself when she turned my resume over. Why? Because I know exactly what’s on it.

So I have to stay out in the street; keep dropping photos, keeping trying to get more rest, keep trying to not let my other gig get the best of me and keep believing that I can continue to move forward in this career...and build my other one.

http://www.stephonfuller.com

No comments: