Friday, November 19, 2010

WAKE UP! I worked last night from 9:30pm until 5:45 this morning, got in bed at 6:15am and awoke 15 minutes later @ 6:30 to get showered and drive to downtown LA to be on-set for my 8am call time. If nothing else, I’m dedicated…

Shooting: National Network commercial for DEGREE with Bear Grylls. I arrived downtown at the location, checked in, got reacquainted with my fellows actors from the fitting a few days ago, jumped into my wardrobe and checked in with the producers and the directing team – The Perlorian Brothers. About 30 minutes after arrived, I have to say, that a strange feeling came over me. Why? Well, I’m a true fan of his show(s), Bear Grylls’ show, and I think he does thingsthat take incredible resolve, faith, skills, etc. Plus, even though, at this point, I hadn’t spoken to him directly he seemed like a super-nice guy…I’m a complete sucker for nice people.

I walked to set to watch them shoot a scene I wasn’t in and to get final approval for my wardrobe. Shortly after that the whole cast and crew drove a short distance to another location where I was to be working. While we were assembling for a rehearsal Bear came over to introduce himself to us. And yes, it’s confirmed, Bear Grylls is one of the nicest, most sincere, people I’ve ever met.

I have to say up that until immediately before the first rehearsal myself and the other actors had no idea what we were doing – nothing. Right before “ACTION!” the producer gave us the instructions of what he wanted. Of course, we did numerous takes and variations of what they were looking for. Something that was, I think, a great sign was that we were rotating 3 different versions of the same product for different territories around the world. Hopefully, that means that there are big plans for this campaign. Shortly afterwards we broke for lunch.

Bear, who definitely could have gone back to his large motor home, opted to, instead, dine with myself and the other actors. I have to say that it was weird to see him eat normal food…on a plate. You have to remember that, prior to this, I’d only seen him eat on his show, MAN vs WILD. On there he eats things like raw, live fish, snakes, caterpillars, etc! I kept thinking that it was probably boring to him to eat like the rest of us. I actually told him that I didn’t think that he ever got cold or uncomfortable in any type of conditions, but there he was; looking for a jacket like the rest of us, “I need a fleece mate!” He said. Great guy and I’m in complete awe of his knowledge and talent as an adventureman.

After lunch we changed into our underwear to brave the chilly temperatures, fake snow…and the freakin’ fog machine…the fog machine! The fog machine about put me down for the count. We finished up and heard, “It’s a wrap on our test subjects!” and got a big applause from the crew. One of the directors, the Perlorian brothers’, approached me to get my email address to make sure I got a copy of the finished product. I don’t think that’s ever happened to me before. With that, I headed back to my tiny room in the trailer to change, return my wardrobe and I was on my way….On my way where? Home. To, hopefully take a nap before going back to my other job. BUT as soon I got almost all of the way home from downtown I realized that I had forgotten to get my wristwatch back fromthe wardrobe assistant. Ahh! So I called to make sure they were still there and drove all the way back downtown to retrieve it. That silly move cost me at least an hour of precious time in my lovely, ultra plush, queen-sized bed with 600 thread-count sheets. Believe it or not, 2-hours later I was due back at my night job. Hey, you gotta do watcha gotta do.


2 comments:

darren said...

Great blog and a great read! remember, the biggest risk in life is to never take one. Keep at it with the acting auditions and good things will come your way

Stephon Fuller said...

Thanks Darren!