Tuesday, April 23, 2002

OMIGOD!! I didn't get fired, replaced, written out or anything else. Second, thanks Julia Flint and Kimberly Crandell for coming out to support me. It was a pleasant surprise to see the two of you there and it means a lot.

The shoot: After a noon start we had a camera rehearsal to tighten up our movements and work out the new dialogue.

Lunch: Boy are they feeding us well on this gig! This is like mom's cooking! Well, not really but sorta.

I gotta say that so much of what has happened in the last month is kinda surreal for me. I ask myself how these things keep happening. In reality, it is happening in the exact way that I planned, but still.

I've been reading a book about the industry "Showrunners", the ones that really make a lot of the big moves in the TV biz. When the two of them walked by and spoke to me. I just shook my head, after speaking back to them of course. WHAT!!

Not 5 minutes later while I was still reading, two women were coming from the other direction. I was stealing a glance at them thinking I recognized them. They looked at me and spoke; it was Amy & Wendy Engelberg, Executive Producer/Writers of the pilot "So Downtown" I worked on a month ago. It was a very small role that my agent didn't really want me to do, but I felt otherwise. They asked what I was working on and told me that they were still editing their show. They said they'll see me again in the future in a larger role. WHAT!!

The shoot:

We were shooting with a real studio audience, so the energy was great and honest. The "Bonnie Hunt" audience was made up of background actors. As each scene was shot the writers were huddled in front of the monitors and anything that was flat was rewritten on the spot. The actors got new lines right then and there and it was shot again right away. Yup!! Live audience, 4 film cameras running, studio heads, network heads, agents, managers and James Burrows, the top comedy TV director in the business!! ACTION! Cold reading skills are so important. Myself, I only had a 3 lines and nothing changed on set, just several times during the week. I was kinda under the radar, so I could do a lot of observing and learning. The shoot was "smoove like butta", this pilot is hot!! I'm sure NBC will promote it extensively. Also, I'm hearing talk of me being around when it goes in production this summer. We'll see.

Afterwards the producers invited the cast & crew to Mexicali, a nearby restaurant to celebrate. Hopefully, I'll see them in July/August.

No comments: