Friday, March 12, 2004

This morning I stopped by the offices of Breakdown Services to get a tutorial on exactly how the system works. Owner Gary Marsh happen to walk in while I was there and gave me the lowdown. Oh my! It's amazing.

What I really wanted to see was "what do the casting directors see on their screens?” I think it's valuable to "put yourself in their shoes, see what they see, and feel what they feel". He showed me the ends & outs of the system and I was thoroughly impressed. They have some new, interesting features to be added in the near future. I gotta step up my game.

On to Henderson/Zuckerman Casting to be a reader for pilot presentation "The Rev". I was there to be the reader for one actor, Tiny Lister. I think this role was written for him and the creative team just wanted to hear it. The producers, writers and director were in town from Canada for the day. I am supposed to read for another role next week. Mr. Tiny Lister is not tiny at all. In fact, he's 6'5" 285 lbs. He and I had a couple of nice moments before we got started. Things like me calling him a "punk". Yeah, it was funny; you kinda had to be there. Anyway the read was fun and the creative team seemed happy with what they saw. The greatest part was me getting in my Honda through the passenger door and watching Tiny get in his $100,000 Mercedes-Benz through the driver side door. I guess I'm mixing with right people, huh?

Audition: "Toyota" @ Melissa Martin Casting. This was at a new commercial casting that I had never been to before. It seems like a pre-requisite for any place that you have an audition for in LA has to have absolutely no parking whatsoever. None. I'm not complaining though.

Lastly, I go to the SAG Information Meeting this evening at the SAG Headquarters. I didn't leave there with a very good feeling about the state of the union. For some reason I am just really suspect on who is looking out for whom. It's not so much that I think the union leaders aren't looking out for the best interest of actors. I am just not convinced that they are. Not convinced at all. Of course the topic was "the contract extension" if that is what you call it. It was good that they allowed someone from the opposing side to speak freely throughout the event. I understand that these contract negotiations are extremely complicated, but it just seemed like the opposing side made more sense. What do I know?

No comments: