Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Yeah!!! The Fuller MX Challenge is on. My brother Jeff and I were heading out to the track with my youngest brother Todd joining us after work. It's about 45 minute drive down into North Carolina. I started out slow on the track getting used to things again because one of my biggest concern is getting hurt. I've had enough with doctors for the moment.

It didn't take long for me to feel like my old self again. I was playing cat and mouse with Jeff, ya know showing him that I still had it even though I hadn't been on a bike since December.

After a couple of hours of riding Todd joined us. He was crisp and smooth while I was completely exhausted and ragged. Previous to Todd arriving I had only fallen once, but after he got there I couldn't stay on the bike to save my life. I was beat, winded and ready for a break. Of course they wanted to race and I couldn't back down from the challenge.

There we were on the starting line, engines peaked to the proper RPM's. 3....2....1 and the bikes are screaming to the first turn. It's a dog fight and Jeff gets the holeshot to the first turn on the Kawasaki KXF250F. I'm right on his tail on the Honda CR125, exhausted, but looking to make a quick move. Jeff was flawless, he didn't at all resemble the guy I'd been playing cat and mouse with in practice. He stepped it up and totally caught me by surprise. I finished second with Todd on a Suzuki RM125 in third.

The second moto is on the gate and ready to go. 3...2...1!!!The three of us blast our way to the first turn with Todd leading me in second and Jeff bringing up the rear. Todd quickly started to get away from me so if I was going to make a move it had to be quick. I wasn't really able to close the gap but was keeping Jeff at bay without too much trouble. Then BAM!!! Agh!!!! There was this turn that was pretty flat and very slick. I found a line that I liked around the very edge that had a little berm and was able to do it as long as I committed to it. For some reason I hesitated and my front wheel got into the soft stuff and it was too late. I went down while running a respectable second. Jeff got around me and I finished third.

The Third Moto: BAM!!! The gate is down. I stay on the gas and win the race to the first turn. I'm determined to win this moto. In and out of the first turn, over the table top jump and a left into the sand whoops. I find the energy to ride standing up and I'm feeling good. Next up is a right hair-pin into a right hand sweeper to a set of doubles and I'm feeling great. Todd is close behind and I know he is looking to make a move. A table top jump with a little kicker is coming up fast and I'm moving a bit faster than normal. I hit the jump and........lights out!! Yup! I don't remember what happened. I just know I went down in a big heap. Todd said I got twisted up in the air and landed really crooked. I just remember hoping that Todd didn't land on top of me. When I stopped tumbling I also remember making sure I had feeling in my fingers and toes...and I did. Whew!! A broken bone wouldn't be a big deal as long as I had feeling in my extremities. I laid there for a while and wasn't able to finish the race. I took a break and got back on the bike to make sure I didn't lose my confidence. I was very, very sore but fine.

No comments: