Saturday, July 30, 2005

Tonight I attended the wrap party for the film on “Easier, Softer Way”. It was a great time to say the least. It was held at Mekhi’s crib. Can I just say “Oh sh*t!”? His home is unbelievable; I just shook my head……did I say his home is unbelievable? What a great guy he is to open up his residence to hundreds of people.

It was cool because I got to see many of the actors I was a reader for during the auditions. I didn’t know who landed a lot of the roles until I saw them at the party and on the gag reel. Ya know, I have a friend who works at one of the Hollywood Hotspots on the Sunset strip and he often invites me to stop by there for private parties and such, but I never go because………I don’t know, it just seems weird for me to show up with no connection to the event. Plus, I’m not any good in the network or schmooze department so I think I would just be uncomfortable. This was different; I had a real reason to be there and felt like part of the group. I had never been to a wrap party of this magnitude that I had direct connection to. I could get used to that.

One of the first people I saw when my guest and I arrived was the Big “O”. No, not Oprah….Omarosa from “The Apprentice” fame. Admittedly, I was never a big fan of Omarosa, but I figured I would give her a chance to prove me wrong. She was shooting pool with another woman that I later found out was her mother, “Mamarosa”.

I had seen and heard about her beefs with Janice Dickinson on her new show. So I decided to ask her about it. The first thing she said to me was “Do you want to be next to get beat on the pool table?” I just laughed and said, “no, I’m not too much of a pool shark these days”. So we got to talking about her situation with Janice and I have to say she was really cool; at least with me. She’s no dummy; she’s working it and extending her 15 minutes of fame into who knows what. So I must say that after talking with “Lady O” my opinion changed….for the better. I mean, I don’t know that we’d, like hang out, but she definitely wasn’t the monster she’s portrayed to be...at least not then. Oh yeah, she’s very, very “womanly” with many curves in the right places.

Later in the evening, I was able to speak at length with some people involved in the production of the film. I can tell you that as actors “we don’t know the half” of how some of these casting decision are made. There are so many variables that have nothing to do with the audition. Sometimes it works in your favor and other times…..well there are too many other times!!

While conversing with one of writers and leads in the film, Ronnie Warner, I found out a bit of the journey of the script. He shared with me how things came together for the film and that you just have to stay dedicated to “your” dream because other people will come and go throughout the process. I asked him if this was his first project that he’s written and gotten produced. What he responded to me with just confirmed my long-time belief of “anything can happen if you ‘truly’ believe it can happen”. He said “I ain’t never been on no movie set before this one”. Here he is on his first movie set and he is one of the stars of a film to be distributed by Sony. He also said that “he was naïve enough to believe that it could actually happen”. I say, congratulations Ronnie Warner for keeping your dream alive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephon, I remember reading that Michael Caine attributed part of his early success to being seen at the right 'hot spots' in the 60s, where he became known as the easy-to-get-along-with guy who wore glasses and smoked a pipe. He just made sure he had a trademark that made him stand out. I know times have changed, but maybe you could make a point of being 'seen' every few weeks at these hot spots you're getting invitations to. Just a thought. (Hey, what do I know? I live in Missouri...)
Peace!

Stephon Fuller said...

Hey Al,

Thanks, but I just don't think I'm cut out for the schmooze thing. I'm fine if I feel that I have a real reason to be there in my heart, otherwise it's painful. Take care!

*S*