Friday, September 02, 2005

YES!!! So the call comes in…….…and…………I’m BOOKED! Yeah, I’m so excited. It’s one of the computer nerds on UPN’s “Love, Inc.”. This is my first show with “Guest Star” billing, which totally caught me by surprise. I knew the character was in at least three scenes, but I wasn’t aware that it was a guest starring role. It should be a lot of fun.

Right after my agent, Josh Schiowitz, called with the good news the CD, Susan Vash, called with congratulations and the details. I got a chance to thank her for calling me directly when she had trouble finding me through my agent. She was like “Of course! When I want to find someone I don’t stop until I do.” Thank you Susan!!

An hour later I get a call from my agency confirming that I should still go to the callback for "Girlfriends". It crossed my mind that "Love, Inc." and "Girlfriends", if I book, may shoot at the same time, but I didn't want to be too presumptuous and ask; I figured I'd cross that bridge if and when I got there. They were being proactive!! They found out that "Girlfriends" doesn't shoot until later in the month. Yes!! I like my agents.

I was determined to make something happen this week. I hit the ground really hard with the drops on Monday morning and Casting Director Susan Vash called me that afternoon. Of course, this specific situation wasn’t a result of my efforts this week, but it worked the way I designed it to work.

Which is:

1. Stay really, really busy hustling to create opportunities.

2. Know that everything done to further my career means something. It may not always be tangible, but it matters in the big picture. Sometimes it takes years to see the result of an effort made today.

3. Don’t worry about what my agents are doing, I trust that they are doing their job. I realize I may be in the minority on that.

4. Remember that I get 90% and my agents only get 10%. So I need to do my fair share.

Callback: “Girlfriends” @ Susan Goddard-Smythe Casting. This goes really well and I think I’m right for it. Regardless, I think Susan will call me in again and the season is still young.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Stephon!