Friday, April 07, 2006

Callback: “Sprint” @ Ross Lacy Casting. This callback went well, which is particulary great for me in this particular office. It’s almost like Ross wants me to make a lot of money in commercials. Afterall, he gives me lots of chances and that’s all I can ask of him. I booked the first audition I had at his office back in ’99. It was one of 3 “Pizza Hut” spots I did, but that was in a whole different era……the ‘90’s. Back then commercial agents were still sending headshots by courier and drop-offs really helped.

For this callback I was part of a group of 3 guys. I gathered one of the guys and then asked the other guy if he would like to rehearse and he declined. Ooops. In the room they had us each read all of the three roles. It felt good or rather great. And I think I’m really right for it. So that was it and they sent us on our way.
Audition: “Comcast” @ Lien/Cowan Casting. This one went okay, I guess. I don’t think I was horrible, but I got some of the words and inflections wrong. I had donwnloaded the copy from online and I wasn’t sure which one was correct. When I got to the audition I was informed that neither was correct; there was another, different piece of copy. So we’ll see. It’s a multi-spot gig.

After the second audition I had to decide if I was still going to go skiing and the answer was a resounding YES!!! So I quickly packed up my gear and got on I-10 East. My friends had gone to Big Bear, but I couldn’t make it there in time and decided to go to Mountain High since they have night skiing.

So here I am on this beautiful drive to the mountains and I’m thinking about how fortunate I am. I moved here almost 8 years ago to further my career and it is happening. I am continually amazed by the reality of that. I moved to Los Angeles on Tuesday, July 28th ’98; my connecting flight came in from Chicago to LAX @ 10pm. I had my first audition the very next morning @ 10:30 and haven’t stopped since. I mean it really “is” my job. I’d planned on going on this ski trip with my friends and I had to pull out at the last minute for one of the best possible reasons……because of my job. THAT is a great feeling.

So I’m on I-15 North @ 4:40 pm talking business with one of my brothers and a call is coming through. It says “KSA” on the screen and I let it go to voicemail. I let my brother go so I could check the message. Of course my mind started to think of what it could be.

· An audition for Monday
· A go-see for Monday.
· An avail from one of last weeks go-sees.
· A booking from one of last weeks go-sees.
· A booking for the “Sprint” spot. (I was not expecting that)

So I call my voicemail and it’s the familiar voice of Don and he says:

“Um..you have 2nd callback…..”

My world went into slow motions at that moment. I’m thinking “WHEN!?!?!?! WHEN!?!?! Please don’t let it be this evening!” You see, I was on I-15 North going 2 mph in a 70 mph zone. There was no way I could get back to the Casting Studios in less than 2 hours with traffic. In a split second I could feel my heart beating in my throat and I stopped breathing…..completely.

Of course I was thinking he was going to say it’s “this evening”.

Back to Don:

“……..Monday morning @ 9am and you are on avail for Friday the 14th….”

My blood started to flow again and my breathing resumed. Needless to say I was very happy to get the news. I called to confirm with Don and continued moving along at 2 mph on the 15 North. Again, it made smile when I thought about the reality of possibly being 15 miles away from the mountain, but needing to rush back to LA……….for my job. THAT’S what I’m talking about!!

Let me tell you something. This brother right here can ski. I ain’t trying to say I’m the man or nothin’ like that, but I can get down wit the get down. I hadn’t skied in like 5-6 years, but I think I got better during my layoff. How could that happen? I think riding motocross helped out a lot. I have a much better understanding of the sport than I did 5 years ago. I was out there skiing not just getting a ride on some fiberglass. That is my same approach to riding motocross and my career. The question is: Are you simply getting a ride on that motorcycle? Or are you “riding that mofo?” I had a shift in attitude and it helped a lot. It was a blast.
I fell a couple of times, but they were nothing more than “welcome back, you’re gonna feel this tomorrow” falls. Actually, the first time I fell I watching this little girl who could not have been more than 5 or 6, but she was at the top of the mountain. I was wondering how the heck could someone that young learn to ski that well in such a short amount of time. Obviously, I know the answer – it’s an activitely that her family enjoys. I love seeing kids out doing positive things with their families. I can definitely see my family in the future participating in alot of outdoors activities.

No comments: