Tuesday, May 16, 2006

More shocking news for me this morning, I was released from my avail for “KFC” at Ross Lacy Casting. I don’t even know what to say about not getting past the avail point for almost a year. At least I’ll get paid for the second callback, but still.

By contrast, something I’m really happy about is that Ross Lacy calls me in more than anybody else in this entire city and for a good while I rarely got ANY callbacks for him. In 2004 I auditioned 16 times for Ross with only one callback and that was the last one of the year. In 2005 I also went in 16 times with 2 callbacks. So far in ’06 I’ve auditioned for him 10 times and have had a total of 5 callbacks or 2nd callbacks/avails. So the fact that I’m getting callbacks, second callbacks and avails for one of the most important commercial offices in town is a good thing. So that is progress and I have to remember that! I booked the first time I auditioned for him back in 2000 and wanna get back there.

Audition: “Mastercard” @ Ross Lacy Casting. This went really well.

Audition: “Drake & Josh” @ Krisha Bullock Casting. Ah, this didn’t go so well. I had a lot of baggage about this one. The biggest thing is that it’s an AFTRA show and I don’t usually pursue AFTRA shows. I know it sounds really stupid and I’m trying to get over it, but to be honest my feeling runs SO deep about us having two different guilds covering TV work that it gets in the way of having fun. Plus, I’m an AFTRA must join from a job I did in ’93 and I don’t wanna pay them to join. I don’t really care to be a member of AFTRA. Then I would be paying more dues to another guild and for what? Normally, I don’t even drop-off to AFTRA shows. It’s a complicated guild issue.
The good thing is that as bad as I was there were bright spots during the audition and I got to meet Krisha for the first time.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I hear ya on all of the AFTRA silliness, but remember that your initiation fees can be taken out of AFTRA paychecks over time rather than paid all at once like SAG initiation fees.

I know that doesn't make it an *easy* pill to swallow (like your beloved Vickie), but at least that's somethin'. ;)

Keith went in on D&J a couple of weeks ago for the first time and really liked Krisha. I've not met her. I'm glad to hear she's so cool.

Keep kickin' ass!

Stephon Fuller said...

I just have to comes to terms with the union thing....or maybe I don't.

I know I don't understand everything about it, but I wish one guild covered all the work. I rarely read for anything that's AFTRA and I don't want to just be another dues paying AFTRA member.

I don't feel too bad about paying my SAG dues, but I've probably had 5 AFTRA audition in 8 years. I've never had an audition for a soap; I'd never qualify for anything. They would just send mail asking for money, lol!