Wednesday, May 17, 2006

This afternoon I attended a therapy session. Yup, I stopped by my commercial agents’ office to ask them about my avail/release situation. I wanted to tap into their wisdom of being top agents at one the top commercial agencies in the country. I know they’ve seen it all or at least most of it.

They assured me that there is no “situation” at all and that every working commercial actor goes through these times of not booking as much as in the past. It was a pretty funny site to see, Alicia was on my right at her desk and Brooke on my left at hers. I was sitting in between them on the couch. I totally felt like I was in therapy, not that I know what that is like…at least not yet. Alicia asked me about the types I’m seeing at the callbacks; younger, older, character? Brooke assured me that “I’ve booked a lot” through them and it’s nothing to be concerned about. I’m getting callbacks and avails; the rest is out of my control. That was great to hear from such an agency.

Fortunately, I am not someone who is completely driven up the wall about the avails and releases. I am not at my wits end; I have a great understanding of how the process works and am sure my ride will come back around with greater frequency. I just needed to get the POV of them who are seeing the bigger picture on a regular basis. So, I guess the bottom line is that I’m doing much, much more right than I am doing wrong. I also think my classes with Carolyne Barry and her associate Amy Van Horne helped a lot.
It doesn't always happen like this because they are usually quite busy, but it's great to be able walk into my agents' office, unannounced, and get a 15-minute sit-down meeting. Reason #112,033 why I'm really happy being repped by Kazarian-Spencer & Associates, thanks Alicia & Brooke!

4 comments:

Matt Shields said...

wow, amazing to see that we all worry about similar stuff. to me you are a constantly working actor yet you worry about the next job as i do.

I have only had two jobs since I returned to H'wood last summer and the funny thing is the thrill I felt about getting the job lasted about two days: the day before shooting and the day of shooting. I woke up the next morning going 'what the f*** do I do now?'

as for the aftra/sag stuff I rememeber back in the 80's (when I first was in this business) we all wanted a merger and there was talk it might happen. If you visit the ATA (association of talent agents) webpage there is an article referencing why it won't happen (which i didn't quite get).

for now I keep my aftra card but I may just put it back on hold myself...

Anonymous said...

I just had my own type of therapy session. Seems to be slow for a lot of people lately. I definitely feel ya, Stephon. Best of luck to you, I'm sure it'll pick back up soon and you'll be picking which commercial YOU want to shoot!

Stephon Fuller said...

No, I'm not "worried" per se about getting my next job. That would drive me crazy. I'm just trying to do better that's all.

I'm very serious about my career, but it's not the "end all be all" in my life. Jobs will come and go, they always have and always will.

For me to support a merger of the guilds it has to be a plan I can get behind and support. I think we'll start hearing of another attempt in the next 18 months or so.

Stephon

Stephon Fuller said...

Hey Michele, thanks for the support. I'm sure I'll go the distance and book again soon. Right? LOL!

Stephon