Thursday, May 18, 2006

Ooops. One of my theatrical agents, Erin, left a message with an appointment for the new Showtime Episodic "Dexter" @ UDK Casting. She made it clear that she didn't submit me for the role and would rather that I didn't go in on it.

The appointment was scheduled for this Sunday. Sunday? Yeah, Sunday. I don't like passing on auditions, but sometimes it's the right thing to do. It's small co-star role. The thing that Erin doesn’t know is that I did a general drop for this show two days ago. I’m really glad they called, but not for this role, even though I really want to get in this office more often.

Hmm…what to do? What am I gonna tell Erin? I have the last word on whether I go in or not and I have gone in on things in the past when they wished other-wise. I have obligations to meet and they are very respectful of that. It’s great to have a people like that on my side. They protect me from myself. I really want to book something before I go on vacation and turning down auditions is not the way to do it.

Ha! I’m going out of town this weekend. That’s right! Cool; it’s settled. I called Erin back and she was glad I was to be out of town so I wouldn’t be officially passing on the project, but still not going in. I’m sure UDK wasn’t shocked that some people are gone for the weekend. I guess these things called “drop-offs” do work. Now, if I can get them to call me in for something else soon.

4 comments:

Matt Shields said...

so why wouldn't your agents want you to go in on this? protect you from yourself?

educate me please... my guess is because they are trying to shape your career and you have reached a certain level??

I just read for a walk-on with four lines on 'The Shield' and I was ecstatic, but of course I haven't been on a theatrical audition in quite awhile either

Stephon Fuller said...

My agency is a "guest-star" agency; meaning most of their clients are working at the guest-star level. Me, as an actor, I just wanna work on pretty much anything. They are helping me move forward to bigger and better things. It's a collaboration between us and I have to draw on their experience and wisdom and apply it to my reality.

Don't get me wrong, I don't turn down auditions left and right and I very well may have gone in for "The Shield" too. It just depends. I just went in for 3-4 lines on "Monk". It just depends on the situation.

Stephon

Matt Shields said...

you mean your agents actually discuss your career with you? sounds like you have awesome agents.

Thanks for the response, I'm trying to learn all I can before I return to Alaska for a month away from Hollywood.

Stephon Fuller said...

Yes, I do have awesome agents. I try my best to be an awesome client to match.

Stephon