Thursday, June 08, 2006

Audition: "Lincoln Mercury" @ TLC/Booth Casting. Ya know I love to audition @ this office. I’ve booked here twice before and they were both Joe Pytka directed spots. That is always encouraging. Last year I lost a week of my vacation for a last minute booking and I am more than willing to do it again.
The audition went well, I think I understood how it is going to be shot and acted accordingly. Hopefully I didn’t “over think it” though.

You ever see anyone at an audition for a job that you ended up booking and you see that person again and you don’t want to say that you book it? Well, I ran into my friend Denver Dowridge at the “Lincoln-Mercury” audition today. We were also at the “Monk” audition together. Since we are often mistaken for each other I assumed we were reading for the same part. Well, I found out today that we BOTH booked roles in the episode! Different roles, different days. That really put a smile on both of our faces.

On a completely different topic; this doesn’t put a smile on my face. It’s official; I think “SAG at AFTRA rates” sucks. Matter of fact, I think AFTRA sucks. Correct me if I’m wrong, but they seem to be working against getting us actors the best rates. I also reserve the right to change my mind about this at anytime. I don’t know, having two guilds representing the same group of actors doesn’t serve us all that well and as a result we get “SAG at AFTRA rates”. It is horrible.

Today I realized how important a decision I made years ago was. Very early on in my journey I decided to go after what I wanted; I mean really go after it. By that I meant top productions and the people involved. I figured, “why not?” I might actually get some roles.

When I first moved to Los Angeles my focus was television and commercials. Not just any television shows; but what I call the “blue-chip” shows: “ER”, “CSI”, “Friends”, Everybody Loves Raymond”, Judging Amy”, “NYPD Blue”, “Frasier”, etc. The shows they had been around or were going to be around in syndication for years to come. As an actor trying to make a living, residual income is of vital importance.

Commercially, I went after the busiest casting directors who cast for the top level directors. In 2003 I consciously added film to my target list. Not just any category of film; I went after the big studio films. None of this means that I turned down or didn’t pursue other stuff; of course I did. I’ve worked on all kinds of projects, for pay and no pay, with dialogue and no dialogue, names and no names. I just knew where I wanted my priorities to be.

The reason is because I wanted to be able to make a living and work with the best. As a result I’ve been fortunate to work some of the premiere talent in the industry: Joe Pytka, Andy Ackerman, James Burrows, David Kohan, Max Mutchnick, Terry George, Kevin Bright, Bonnie Hunt, Arlene Sanford and of course Debra Zane, Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg and many, many others.

What am I getting at? Even I’m confused at this point. The bottom line is that I am really; really glad that I was very specific in the type projects I worked on in the beginning. Why do I say that? Because the “SAG at AFTRA” terms contract that UPN works under is a terrible thing for actors. Did I say it’s a terrible thing for actors? In short, it sucks. Almost everything I’ve worked on in TV has been on ABC, CBS NBC or Fox and some cable. The big network residual pay scale is much, much, much better than UPN’s “SAG at AFTRA” terms garbage. Hopefully, I’m wrong, but I assume that the new CW Network will be working under the same crappy contract.

The difference is this. If the majority of the work I have booked over the years would have been on UPN I would definitely still be putting theft tags on ladies underwear at Old Navy/Beverly Connection @ 4am or better yet, still waiting tables at The Hollywood Standard asking hotties if “fries comes with that shake”. There is THAT much of a difference in the residuals.

Last Fall I did a guest star on UPN’s “Love, Inc.”. I had a great time working on the show and was thrilled to get the guest starring credit. It originally aired in December and aired again in the same time slot in March. Here’s the really depressing part: My residual payment for the first re-run was roughly 10% of my original rate. I found it hard to believe that AFTRA sold us out and undercut SAG that bad. I could be wrong still because everytime I call SAG I get a different answer. Until I find out otherwise I am angry about this. If this would have been on NBC, ABC, CBS or Fox I would have gotten my full fee for a re-run in that time slot.

Don’t get me wrong I understand that UPN is not a huge network like the big four, but 10% on a first re-airing is just wrong. So where do I go from here? First, I leave town and get a nice break from it all. Then I return with a vengeance and focus on what I’ve been focusing on for years. It has served me well in the past and it should continue; I just didn’t know how instrumental that decision was when I made it. I’ll still audition for AFTRA shows if they come up, but I won’t be pursuing them like I’ll pursue full SAG productions.

I didn’t think anything could be worse than the DVD pay rate, but “SAG at AFTRA Terms” is much worse in my opinion. Here is an example of DVD payment situation I saw on a website sometime ago.
=============================================================

Thank you SOOO much for your recent email. I have tried till I'm blue
in the face to explain what happened to me on the movie Seabiscuit,
Which you referenced in your email? [Note: we pointed out that the
Writer and director of Seabiscuit each made $650,000 from DVD sales.]

Please feel free to share this information in ANY of your materials as it
will further breakdown HOW LITTLE will show up in the actors'
pockets and how MILLIONS of dollars will be lost in the future.

A few key points on Seabiscuit and another movie I worked on,
Catch Me If You Can.

Seabiscuit - pay rate for me: 1 day, Scale plus 10%. "Take it or
leave it." Sound familiar? I took it. THINKING, great book, big
movie, big budget, RESIDUALS - WRONG!!!!

The movie grossed over 200 million at the box office, then went on
to become the #20 Top Selling DVD of ALL TIME at 6.6 MILLION
UNITS. But I had to split the 12 CENTS that actors got for each of
those 6.6 MILLION UNITS with 90 other speaking roles!

Net pay for me for one day: $538.00
Residuals: $458.00 - And that's for EVERYTHING - DVD, Cable, Pay TV.

Films of this size are skipping cable and syndication and cutting right to
cheap, mass-produced DVD's which offer PURE PROFIT.

Now I will use Catch Me If You Can as my other example:

2 days at $800 (my quote at the time - you'll see why fighting for your quote
is worth the risk of losing the job.) [Note: this is also a good example of
why the proposed 3% increase in minimums is meaningless.]

My residuals for Catch Me If You Can: $5,200. Almost 3 times my initial
salary. Same 200 Million at the box office - BUT - not anywhere near the
DVD sales of Seabiscuit. BUT - A LOT of HBO, Cable and Pay-Per-View.

The DVD issue is worth sending these guys back to the table. Any penny
above what we have now is worth MILLIONS in the long run. The STARS have to come out on this since they have even more to lose than we do. They came out late in the Commercial Strike - I say - bring them out now.

I will send your email to all my friends with that thought in mind that
ANYTHING we get above NOTHING now is worth the good fight. WE MUST NOT be
fed this b.s. from up top. They misjudged us when they tried to sell us on the merger and on the dues raise. I think they're doing that here, too.

Yours in Brotherhood,

[Name deleted at writer's request.]

Please vote NO.
=================================================================

9 comments:

Melissa D. Madison said...

...all I know is YOU BETTA' DO THE DAMN THING AND BOOK THAT OCEANS 13 MOVIE!!! LOL

My fingers are crossed for you and hoping 50 months working on that damn set, S! Damn you deserve it!

Stephon Fuller said...

Thank you Melissa! I'm gonna tell 'em you said so!

Stephon

Bonnie said...

Cool new template, Stephon!

And, man, do I ever agree with you on the SAG at AFTRA rate issue. A friend's series was AFTRA first season, then "bumped up" to SAG at AFTRA rate second season. She was like, "I don't even know why they bothered." I mean, it helped her make her insurance, but it was such a silly contract--and no one but the series regulars actually could make their SAG insurance under those terms.

Keep reachin' for those stars, darlin'! Your goal-setting has proven to be a very good choice for you thus far. There's power in visualization! Good for you, staying on track.

Have a great vacation!

Stephon Fuller said...

Ya know Bonnie, I don't pretend to know the real "ins and outs" of why we have two guilds covering this work, but to me, a regular guy who's only moderately sharp, it seems crazy. In my opinion AFTRA should be kidnapped and put in a dark basement somewhere.

Well at least she was able to make her insurance; is that Faith?

Thanks for the kind words; we are both doing it!!

I can taste my vacation already! It taste a little like humidity; I know you are familiar with that.

Stephon

Bonnie said...

LOL You KNOW I miss my 80% humidity sometimes. ;) Heeee!

Yeah, that was Faith. I knew you'd be able to pick that up. Heeeee!

I think the reason we HAD two unions is because, when they started up, there was film (which took months to produce) and there was TV (which was always performed and broadcast LIVE). So, of course TV was more like radio than film and it made perfect sense to cover its performers under the radio union... since most early TV stars either came from Vaudeville or radio!

But since, oh, about 1960, I'd say, it's been a pretty irrelevant separation based on "where" the work is screened (in a theatre vs. on a TV at home). And since the 1980s, it's been BEYOND irrelevant and just downright CRAZY to keep the two separate.

Convergence of not only the way we PRODUCE films and TV shows but also of the way we CONSUME films and TV shows has made it very clear that this should all be under the same roof.

Could you imagine if IATSE only covered film crew and some other contract-undercutting group repped the TV crew members... even though they use the exact same equipment? It would NEVER happen.

But the reason it can happen with actors is because it's such a splintered, fractured group to begin with. Because there are always going to be people who "judge" those who qualify for SAG via extra vouchers and who want to limit membership, there will always be strong opposition to a merger--even the best merger with wonderful P&H plans in place and loads of GOOD, SOLID research to back up how smoothly the transition to one union could go will always be voted down by this elitist group that wants to protect "our union" from "those AFTRA types."

And it's so silly because OF COURSE producers will just keep using AFTRA contracts when they can... and actors will be forced to join both unions if they want to do AFTRA shows... and we all know that actors want to WORK.

It's actually the producers who win, when a merger doesn't happen. I certainly don't believe that EVERY one of the merger plans that has been introduced and voted down was a good plan, but certainly there have been TWO that were "good enough" and should've been approved (and were approved in EVERY market OTHER than Hollywood). When I think of how much money actors have lost (that they would've HAD if mergers had gone through any of the last three votes), I get very sad. There will never be a perfect merger plan... but there's a guaranteed result when AFTRA remains and undercuts SAG to win producers' favor: the actors lose money.

Ugh.

Can you tell this frustrates me?

Maybe the best deal would be to not merge AFTRA and SAG, but to turn AFTRA into AFRA and put all "T" work under SAG's jurisdiction. Of course, no producer who uses AFTRA contracts would want to see that happen. And that's a powerful group of people.

*sigh*

When I am the Queen of Showbiz and Keith runs SAG, we'll fix it all. ;) That'll be fun!

Heeeee!

Stephon Fuller said...

Bonnie, what you say about the original reason for two unions makes sense, but it's time for a change.

Why is it that SAG always seems to be behind the curve. We are always playing catch up and never ahead of anything. Always trying to get something back instead of being in a power position. I don't get it.

I have a feeling that if this nonsense was going on at IATSE somebody would be wearing cement boots. They just don't seem so willing to take a bunch of crap. I'm not sure what I base that on, but it's a real feeling.

With that said, I think Alan Rosenberg wants to change things for the better. It's a lot to change, but I think he's really trying. I believe I heard him say at the membership meeting that another merging attempt is coming as well as a dues increase. He explained that the increase is largely to fund committees to get us ahead of new technologies - webisodes, mobisodes, etc.

AFTRA should be embarrassed with waht they are doing. Get rid of it I say. Merge it or flush it. As you can see, it frustrates me too. Whew!!

Stephon

The Alan Heitz Show said...

Wait until you get residuals for "Monk." You won't be able to fill up your gasoline tank.

Stephon Fuller said...

Dag, my tank's on "E" too!

Stephon

Bonnie said...

You got it, Stephon. Right on!