Thursday, June 22, 2006

Last week I attended a “SAG Conversations” event featuring Tracee Ellis Ross of "Girlfriends". It was really cool to listen to her speak about her journey. Funny enough, the script that I have not been spending much time on lately is for her as the lead – at least in my mind. I had never met her before, but after 90 minutes of listening to her speak I really think she’s perfect for it.

The coolest thing about her is that with all of her success you believe that she is really thankful. It’s easy to say you’re thankful, but with her you “feel” that she’s thankful and loves going to work. All the best to you Tracee.
There was another “SAG Conversations” event last week, but I missed it because when it showed up on the schedule I had already bought my ticket home. It was featuring Michael Ealy. Mike and I studied at the same place when we were both new in New York around 1996 or so. We had a circle of friends that we would, of course, talk about the business, the craft, work, etc.

Micheal always struck me as a great guy through and through – grounded, real, passionate and very, very talented. Well, my friend Debbie Campbell attended the event and said that Michael mentioned my name. WHAT?!

The email said:

“I went to see Michael Ealy speak at SAG tonight...are you friends with him? He got to talking about how, in his opinion, life as an actor in NY is 80% craft, 20% business, and how in LA it's 80% business, 20% craft. Then he talked about how he decided to get his business together in NY, and his buddy Stephon helped him out by sharing his marketing strategies and advice.

I figured it had to be you. So I wanted to let you know he gave you some props.”


Yeah, that really surprised me. I mean I did run into him at a play back in the Spring of this year, but I wouldn’t have thought that any advice I’d given him 10 years ago meant all that much. Who knew? I must say that it really made me smile – and shake my head at the same time. Wow, I guess you never know how what you say affects others. Keep doing your thing Michael and Debbie thanks for letting me know!

2 comments:

Shenita Moore said...

That's really cool Stephon! I give you props as well for helping me to step up my game...:)...

Had it not been for me meeting you, and ultimately reading your blog, I don't think I'd be doing half of what I'm doing now to further my career.

By the way, I met Michael back in 2003 (he's a friend of a friend) when he did the opening for a play I was in. I must say I was very happy to discover that he is a cool, down to earth person. I wish I would have been able to attend his "Conversations" too, so that I could of said hi, but alas, I was a little busy having a baby...:)...

- Shenita.

Stephon Fuller said...

Thank you Shenita!

Stephon