Sunday, June 04, 2006

This morning my friend, Denice, called with free tickets to a one woman show this evening at The Kirk Douglas Theatre. Well, by the time I got back to her it was too late to get on the list. BUT one of the other people who confirmed wasn't able to make it. The kicker was that I had to pick-up the ticket in the name of the person who wasn't there.

So I meet Denice in front of the theatre and she gives me the name of the person. This is where it got a little tricky. The name of the other person was a very Latin sounded surname. Well, I don't look very Latin. So...let the games begin.

EXT - CULVER CITY - EARLY EVENING

Stephon Fuller, 30's, African American, slight in stature is gathering his thoughts. He takes 10 seconds to prep, trying to get a name that isn't his to roll off of his tongue. After a beat he approaches the window.

Stephon: (The name has been changed slightly.) Hi, Ortega; Mike Ortega. I should have a ticket for pick-up.

Clerk: As he begins to look on the shelf. Ortega.

Stephon: Yeah, Mike Ortega.

Clerk: He looks at me kinda funny ....hmm, do you have ID on you?

Stephon: Ah no, I left it in the car.

Clerk: He starts looking again. How do you spell it?

Stephon: I'm starting to sweat bullets at this point. I wasn't sure how to spell it(again, the actual name has been changed). Looking into the glass I could see Denice's reflection behind me, but of course I couldn't ask her how to spell "my" last name. O-R; it could be under "Mike".

Clerk: Oh, there it is.

Stephon: Cool. Yeah, that happens all the time. (cough, cough) It could have been me though, my voice is kinda hoarse. Thanks.

Clerk: Enjoy the show.

I quickly made my way over to Denice and we slipped inside. We laughed and she said.

Denice: You deserve an Oscar for that performance.

Stephon: OMG! I thought I was so busted!

Denice: He didn't even ask me for ID.

Stephon: Well, things are different for women like you. I don't get the perks that you get. We are in Hollywood afterall.

Speaking of Denice, outside of being an outstanding actress she is also a professional organizer. So if you have a mess that you can't seem to straighten out she might be able to help. It's called Goddess Organizing with Denice Sealy if you get a chance check her out.

Oh yeah, the show was great and the space was beautiful. Makes me want to get back on stage.

No comments: