Friday, July 28, 2006

Happy Anniversary to me! It was 8 years ago today that I moved to Los Angeles from New York. I have survived!!! Not only am I surviving; I feel that I'm thriving and I must say that it feels great. When I landed here I knew very few people; no one that was going to hold my hand through this new part of my journey. Actually, that was probably for the best because I would have driven them crazy. Sadly, I don’t talk to those people all that much these days. They are still in the business, but I don’t really see or hear from them unless I call or stop by. That’s okay, that’s the way it goes sometimes.

I’m so fortunate that my transition to LA was as smooth as it was. I didn’t even have time to get settled before I started getting appointments. The research I did for 3+ years in New York on the LA market paid off for me. I got the exact representation that I wanted - immediately. That, along with postcards, mailings, classes, CD workshops, attending almost every event I could and lots of really late nights greatly helped me get in the game. I left my job at The Hollywood Standard 5+ years ago; which means I’ve supported myself solely as an actor for the majority of the time I’ve been here. That is so surreal to me even to this day.

Los Angeles is the Superbowl of our business - the biggest of the big leagues. I knew from the first day of acting class that I was planning to play in the Superbowl. I also knew that I was going to give an honest effort to move forward. I think I’ve done that; if I left the business now I’d be very happy with my accomplishments. Make no mistake; I have a long way to go, but I feel I’m moving forward everyday. The really cool thing is that I’m enjoying the present time and not waiting for the “big whatever”. 8 years in the can, I’m growing up.

Audition: Cadillac” @ Francene Selkirk Casting. This one came through in a different way. I got an email from LA Casting saying I had been requested. I never got an audition like that before; I guess I better start looking closer at those e-mail messages that look like SPAM. The audition goes really, really well and I think I’m perfect for it. I always seem to say that don’t I? Callbacks are Wednesday, hopefully I’ll be there.

No comments: