Thursday, July 27, 2006

Audition/Producers: “Big Day” @ Megan Branman Casting. This is an ABC single camera comedy. The role is a recurring co-star as a photographer; 2 or 3 episodes. When my agent, Caleigh, called with the appointment she was giving me tips on where I could find a trailer for the show since it’s new and hasn’t aired yet. It’s a great feeling to have agents that are really rooting for you.

Ironically, I dropped off @ Fox Studios just yesterday to the many drop boxes that are there, but the audition is @ Sony Studios which is cool because now I can do drops there. I don’t get on this lot too often.

Props? What to do, what to do. Sometimes it's okay to use them and other times it's a big no, no. It depends on the CD/office and/or situation. I decided to take the risk and run with it – this photographer is going to have a camera.

So I find my way to the Capra Building on the Sony lot and sign in. After a short wait it's my turn. Funny enough, the first thing Megan said was, "Alright, nice camera!" Cool…I guess. The read went well. I flubbed a line a little, but the character was in tact. I felt great about it no matter what happens, but I would love to book.

Alright, so now it’s time to pull out my PDA and see who else is on the Sony Pictures Studio lot. I plot out a route on the studio map I got from security when I came in so I can figure out where I’m going. I don’t want to walk around cooking like some low-fat turkey bacon. It wasn’t as hot as it’s been lately, but still hot enough. I hit about 4 offices. It’s funny how I go about plotting and planning when I’m doing my thing. I love it. I absolutely love business – any kind of business. I think I would have been great in the business world. Who am I kidding I AM in the business world. This is, without a doubt, a business.

My last drop was at Francine Maisler Casting; I’ve auditioned here before, but haven’t booked – yet. So I enter the Jimmy Stewart building with a purpose in my step so I looked like I belonged. The two security guards gave me a look, but I kept it moving. So I get up on the second floor and I’m walking down the long hallway lined with stills from movies that I assume where shot on the lot. In the distance I see a woman walking in my direction. As we get closer I see that I recognize her, it’s Kathy Driscoll-Mohler. Kathy is Francine’s casting associate; I read for her for “Spiderman 3. Kathy greets me warmly and asked how I’ve been. I tell her things are really great and I also booked a role in “Oceans’ Thirteen”. She said she’s been good as well and that their office has been quiet as of late, but I’m sure they will be back in business very soon.

On the way back I didn’t want to run into Kathy again at the elevators so I just hung for a second on the second floor. I know she has “actor stories” and I don’t want to be a weird one – so I gave her some space. The two security guards that were eyeing me on the way in stopped me on the way out. Nothing bad, they thought they recognized me from television or something. I said “probably not, but maybe”.

I’m still shocked that anyone ever sees me in anything and really remembers it, but I guess they do. Ironically, a couple of hours later my friend Jewel Christian informed me that I was on “Frasier” just last night. I guess that, coupled with “Love, Inc.” last week, “Monk” next week and the past shows that I’ve been on that are running in syndication all adds up to getting my face on the map.

3 comments:

Matt Shields said...

this was one of my favorits posts yet, trying to figure out why... I think it appealed to me because of the way you broke down your consistent thinking/approach from the business side of things. Your posts help to de-glamorize Hollywood, which I think is a good thing from an actor's perspective. Whenever I start to realize what I'm actually doing I start to feel those tingling nerves... it's all a head game.

Anonymous said...

You are awesome to do this! I am not alone in my
feelings about making rounds, doing the biz
of show biz. And it works. And your writing it all out is probably therapeutic and cathartic. Writing keeps you focussed and reinforces the good in all this. I think most actors who "fail" are those who don't jump into the trenches and do the work - this work. Hats off to you for making us all feel better about the voices in our head during this process of hustling work. People ask me what I do - I tell them "I'm a hustler, baby, that's what I am". I actually think I like the challenge of booking more than the actual work itself - just kidding, I like to book as much as the next actor, but the chase appeals to me, too. Question: How much has actorsite helped you? I'm thinking
it's time to join.

Stephon Fuller said...

Thanks for the kind words from both of you. Actorsite has been a valuable tool in my progress, very much so.

Stephon