Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Table read: "Criminal Minds" @ Century Studios. It’s always great to be invited to a table read. It usually means you’ve booked a job and that is a good thing.

I arrived at the studio and found my name card on the huge table where the actors and the production team was to assemble. There was at least 45-50 people in attendance; it was like it was a table read for a pilot. That caught me by surprise; I didn’t expect to see so many people; including from the studio.

So I was seated next to Casting Director Scott David and associate Gina Garcia and once everyone was settled we all introduced ourselves – yup all 400 of us; which was cool to see who everyone was behind the scenes. I was about person number 17 and by time it got to me things needed to be shaken up a little – at least I thought so. I was gonna take a risk and be that example of what NOT to do while at a table read for a major network show. I figured hey, this ain’t my first time at the rodeo; I didn’t have to walk around scared to be myself. When the introduction got to me, instead of saying “Stephon Fuller, “Tech” I said “Stephon Fuller, “Single Black Male” and “Tech”…the entire room went silent for a split second followed by a roar of laughter - it really broke the ice. It could’ve went really bad, but sometimes you just take the risk. Then, person #24, another black actor, said the same thing – funny again – it was like a residual.

So we started reading the script and in the begininng there was a little jab at Shemar Moore’s character and he responds “What the &^% does that mean?”, then he said something about being a “single black male” – another residual!

Something that was interesting was that you could barely hear the series regulars read their dialogue. I think, us, the guest cast, knew our jobs are a little less secure - you could hear us loud and clear.

About ¾ of the way through the script “Garcia” appears, she is played by Kirsten Vangsness. “Garcia” receives a phone call from “Morgan” requesting a bit of information; Morgan is played by Shemar Moore. They had very little dialogue, but let me tell you, the sexual tension/chemistry between those two was absolutely off the chain. I don’t know who said in order for a woman to be sexy in Hollywood she needs to be size zero or something close to it. I also don’t know if Ms. Vangsness used to be a phone sex operator or maybe she still is, I don’t know, but THAT is one sexy woman. They brought the room to a stand still.

Anyway, another cool thing was seeing fellow actor Tuffet Schmelzle; I know her from networking at Actorsite. It’s great to see others you know at auditions and on set. On the way out one of the producers stopped me and laughed about the “Single Black Male” comment; he thought it was really funny. …hmmm maybe he could produce a pilot…I’m just sayin….

You know, I often talk about other things that interest me in life. Make no mistake, I love being in this business and I appreciate everything it has brought to me. I’ve had some great experiences and met some great people along the way. I say that because it was a wonderful feeling being in the room for the table read and I don’t want it to seem like I could care less about being in this business. Do I think parts of this business are laughable and absurd? Yes, absolutely. Do I want to be a series regular on a great show? Yes absolutely.

Audition: "Toys-R-Us" @ Craig Colvin Casting. This audition went really well. My character was a father with a wife, a son and a daughter. My “wife” – HOT! My “daughter” - CUTE! My “son” – CRAZY! That kid was a damn trip! I thought he was gonna blow the place up for real. He was just like angry or something at 7 years old! What the heck was he angry about? Not like mad like “little kid mad” – ya know tired, hungry and irritable. The dude was pissed like an old ass man going through a divorce. 7 years old! We were all in line to slate our names and he didn’t want to stand next to his sister. I asked him to stand next to his sister to slate and he answered, “how do you know my name?” “And that ain’t my sister”. It was just so funny.

Actually, the little terror probably knew what he was doing. In the spot, me, “the dad”, was supposed to represent a 9 year old kid and he was supposed to be a little more mature. I think it worked. I would LOVE to be on set with him all day; could you imagine the stories I could tell.

7 comments:

Melissa D. Madison said...

LOL!! "the little terror!" I love it, S!

Hey, I wonder if that kid was anything like my neighbor's 1 yr old who imitates ambulance sirens at the top of her lungs all day! LMAO!!

Stephon Fuller said...

That kid was hilarious!

Anonymous said...

what was the jab at shemar's charactor and did he really curse? Big fan of Criminal Minds and Shemar

Stephon Fuller said...

It wasn't a jab like anything serious; it was a joke and he just had fun with it. Shemar seems like a really cool guy.

Stephon

Anonymous said...

great story! just wondering, at your table read did you get to meet or see matthew gray gubler? what was he like? was he friendly ,etc?

Stephon Fuller said...

Hi anonymous,

Yes, I did get to meet Matthew and he was really nice, funny and sarcastic. I didn't spend much time with him, but he seemed like a really cool guy.

stephon

Anonymous said...

thats awesome! sounds like he's pretty cool. btw, sorry for double posting!!