Monday, August 21, 2006

What a day today. It started out with a conversation with the lady in the rental office of where I live. I got word that at least one newer tenant in my building is evidently paying lower rent than me, by a significant amount. This tenant has been in the building waaaay less time than me. I wanted to discuss it with the leasing agent. I caught her off guard when I arrived in her office and asked for a price list. She kinda talked around it a bit and tried to be vague, but I was ready for her. It was funny because I’ve lived in this building for 8 years and I’m always nice and polite. Let’s just say that she saw a very different side of me this morning. She saw the firm businessman who had his game face on. The more vague she tried to be the more information she unwittingly gave me. I wasn’t nasty or anything like that and I didn’t make a scene, but I was very, very firm – but respectful. She knew I wasn’t happy when I left. I understand that she doesn’t own the building, but I think she has room to work with. I was livid when I left her office, but I felt so much better. I love it when I get really pissed off about something, it gets the blood flowing.

Anyway, after that the rest of the day continued to be productive. I got quite a bit done mentally and in a business sense. I did some drop-offs and bought some financial software to put myself on a budget; which is difficult for me since I never know how much I’m going to make.

I think this was the highlight of my day; just seeing the numbers. I have no freakin idea how I’ve been able to make my sole living as an actor for 5+ years. No idea. When looked at my expenses and I know that I meet them every month AND I’m able to spend 6 weeks a year on the East Coast and drive a decent car I felt like a rockstar. I mean really and today was the perfect day for it. It’s great to have auditions and all that stuff, but seeing those numbers did it for me today. It was empowering and makes me want to do a lot more.

So right after I got home I received a call from production of “Criminal Minds” saying a new script with revisions is on its way to be delivered. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten revisions on a drama before. Of course you get tons of revisions on comedies, but I’m sure it’s not the first time for a drama.

Then I get another call from production; this time inviting me to the table read tomorrow afternoon at the studio. That’s another first for me I think. Yeah, I’ve never been to a table read for an hour drama. Cool. I have to remember that, for me, “table read” means I’m still auditioning. So I have to keep that in mind; that some of the producers/writers will be seeing me for the first time.

No comments: