Thursday, September 07, 2006

Audition: "The Game" @ Suzanne Goddard-Smythe Casting. I'm glad to get back in this office! Why? Well, last time I was there, several weeks ago, things went "just okay". Not at all bad, just "neither here nor there". So it’s a small victory to get back in so soon.

I used to be great at nailing the smaller co-star roles, but in recent years it has become much more challenging. I'm not sure why, but it has. So here I am pre-reading for a very small co-star role...without any complaints - oh yeah, it's possibly recurring.

After signing in I couldn't help but notice the actors that were there for the roles of "Girls #1 & 2". Five of "LA’s Finest"; these women were soooo.......nice and polite.

Anyway, after a while it was my turn. I read for associate Danielle Diller again, but I saw Suzanne on the way in and she remembered me. I didn’t feel I was all that right for the character because they said he was “really Hip-Hop”, but the read went great. LOL!! I’m as nerdy as they come – not too hip-hop. I listen to hip-hop music, but those guys are real trend-setters and I am not. Plus, I forgot my cool hat that I was gonna wear to show that I was on the cutting edge of…something.

I chose to use props this time. I had my cell phone and a brace for my wrist. I added some activity at the beginning and the end of the scene and it worked…I think. I have to be careful of that because sometimes you can squeeze in too much and it can come off as trying too hard when it’s such a short scene. I can’t forget that it was a pre-read so I guess I’ll find out if it “really” worked. I read it the first time and they liked the business I added. We did it again and I got carried away. Danielle instructed me to tone it down and we did it a third time and they seemed to be happy. I believe it shoots the week of the 18th. So maybe I’ll get a callback.

My commercial and print agents are right next door to CBS Radford Studios where the audition was so I stopped by to say “hello”. It’s been two weeks since I’ve had an audition through them, which is rare, but that isn’t the main reason I stopped by. I “like” them; they are really great people and I enjoy talking to them – even if it is 5-10 minutes at a time.

I thought this was great. Immediately after greeting each other my agent Brooke commented that I hadn’t been out lately. I just love that; it’s not like it’s been months. I can’t believe that she specifically knows how active I am right off the top of her head. Funny, back in the day when I was preparing to move from New York to Los Angeles some other actor’s where saying that I shouldn’t sign with KSA because they are too big and I’ll get “lost in the shuffle”. Yes, they are a very large agency, but they have a lot of people running the operation. I have never felt, even for a day, that they didn’t know who I was. They have an open-door policy for their clients and I have always taken full advantage of it.

Anyway, Brooke brought up the topic of headshots and that it might be time for me to update or just look at my old session and get another shot that hasn’t been circulated. I had been thinking of shooting new shots anyway so it didn’t come as a surprise. She recommended a photographer they use a lot, but he is SUPER expensive. I don’t have a problem with the cost really, but he is the most expensive headshot photographer I’ve heard of in LA. I got better than the best deal you can get on my comp card so if I average that and a really expensive shoot I’ll have a good average, but it’s just not in the budget right now. I’ll get it together soon.

Audition/Producers: “The George Lopez Show” @ Stacey Levy Casting. I arrived at this audition and almost everyone there it seemed was from Actorsite. I saw Tanika McKelvy Brown, Julia Flint, Ingrid Sanai Buron, Joan Blair and Angel Oquendo. The audition went well I thought. I asked a question about the scene before I started which helped to clear things up a bit; it wasn’t all on the page. That bit of information changed the way I read it, I’m glad I asked.

It was great to see some fellow acting friends out in the mix, reading for roles on major shows. I think at least one of us will book.

Afterwards Angel and I walked around on the Warner Bros lot and I showed him where the “Ocean’s Thirteen” set was. He also booked a role in it and worked a couple of weeks ago at another location. The first thing we saw when we found the soundstage was George Clooney playing basketball with a few members of the crew. I must admit, it was a little surreal seeing him right there. Seems like a really cool guy.

I did a couple of general drop-offs on the lot and ran into Lanre Idewu; we did a play together in downtown LA a couple of years ago. I also ran into Brandon Molale; I met Brandon at Actorsite several years ago. He was working on “Dodgeball” the same time I was working on “The Terminal” both in Palmdale. Brandon is a really nice guy who works CONSTANTLY in big films. Actually, I saw him on “The Jay Leno Show” tonight; that guy is everywhere.

I rarely/never ask my agents to get feedback from an audition. Part of the reason is that I have a serious fear of rejection. It’s kinda funny actually. Another reason is that I don’t want to be just bothering my agents…just…because. So I try to be patient and just move on to the next thing. Well, this “patiently impatient” guy wasn’t so patient today. Yeah, I called my agent to see if I could get any word on, “Who’s Your Caddy”, the film I read for the other day. One of the great assistants, Steve, called the casting office and got the low-down. He didn’t get to speak with the casting director, but he did talk to the associate. The associate checked the notes on my resume and “good actor” was written with a star by it. The associate said that, most likely, means that I will get a callback. Cool. I’m really excited by that possibility. At minimum, I had a great audition for a busy casting director and film director.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stephon -
What photographer did they recommend to you? The photographers work that I continually find that CDs LOVE is Paul Smith (www.paulsmithphotography.com). At every single agent or cd workshop, they always pick out his photos out of the pile and compliment them. STAY AWAY FROM KEVYN MAJOR HOWARD! He is rediculously expensive and several offices have a policy to not call people in who have shot with him, simply because you NEVER look like your pic.