Sunday, September 24, 2006

Do I have a job? ...hmmm. Good question...or maybe not. Or maybe a better question is "how long have I had this job?" I mean, obviously I've made my living solely as an actor for the last 5 ½ years - so maybe "acting" has been my job since the day I left The Standard as a waiter/valet guy – 5 ½ years ago. That was March 25th 2001 on a shift that began @ 11pm - yup, I worked graveyard.

I guess it kinda depends on what your definition as a "job or profession" is. I'm sure some of our parents or family members would say it’s not a “job or profession” if it cost you money to do it. I don’t necessarily agree with that.

I remember, years ago, when I worked at The Harley-Davidson Café in New York; the servers would talk during the shift and this always stood out to me. If you had been off for a day or a period of time, of course, people would ask what you did on your days off. In my case, I was off on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdays; so it seemed like I was gone for a bit. Other times I was picking up shifts like crazy because I am a self-described workaholic.

Anyway, when the question of “what did you do on your days off?” was asked of me by other actors I would naturally answer that I’ve been “ya know, just working, trying to get it done” or “trying to make a dollar out of 15 cents” or “working the corner like a street walker” or whatever rhymed….or didn’t. Then they would say “you’ve been here? (meaning the restaurant) wow, it seems like I haven’t seen you for days”.

After that happened a couple of times it dawned on me that many actors (this was back in ’95-97) weren’t looking at their careers as a job. It seemed they thought of the “actor stuff” as simply “funtime”. They thought it was weird that I would say I was “working” when I hadn’t been at the restaurant for 3 days. By contrast, I thought I was weird that they didn’t seem to think that my workshops, mailings, postcarding, drop-offs, background, auditions, research, callbacks, etc – everything other than actually booking a job was “work”. I would just smile.

Another thing I would often hear is “wow….you run your career like a business”. Again, I would just smile. Trust me, holding my tongue was doing them a favor because I am so passionate about business and marketing I can go on and on and on ………and this was 10 years ago. Another thing that was subtle about that comment was that back then I didn’t “run my career like a business”. I ran a business…period, end of story. It’s kinda like Jay-Z said, “I’m not a businessman, I’m a BUSINESS MAN!” When I first heard that on the CD I was like “Whoa!” That’s hot!; as Paris Hilton would say. I also remember Ice Cube talking about his boys in the neighborhood growing up in Compton. He said, “everybody wanted to play for the Lakers”. Cube was like “why play for The Lakers when you can own them”. WHAT!!! That is some influential #^&*( right there! Perspective is huge.

I am not completely innocent in this; it took me a while before I could say “I’m an actor” without sorta laughing at the same time. Even today, when asked, I will often water it down by saying “I’m pursuing a career as an actor”. There is no question and never has been in my mind, but for some reason I say that. It’s odd because I’m very proud of my accomplishments.

In 1993 in Virginia Beach I had 3 jobs. I worked at my parent’s deli, Philadelphia Cold Cuts; in a surf shop in the local mall and I was an actor.

In 1995 in New York I had 2 jobs. I waited tables at The Harley-Davidson Café and was an actor.

In 1998 in Los Angeles I also had 2 jobs. I worked at Old Navy at the Beverly Connection and I was an actor. In late ’98 I completely, COMPLETELY ran out of money and had to go back to New York to work at the restaurant for a month or so to earn some cash – I was still an actor. I did workshops, drops and auditioned through my New York agents.

In April ’99, my car was impounded – long story – AGAIN, I had to go back to my job in New York at The Harley-Davidson Café to earn some cash. My 2 week trip, turned into 2 months – even longer story – I had my first and only experience with handcuffs…well, maybe not only…..ANYWAY, I was still an actor.

In 2001, I gave the two job thing “’da finga” and said, “peace, I’m outta here”. So the answer is a resounding “YES!!! I have a job” and it’s one of the coolest jobs in the world – I am an actor – period

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice! :)

Shenita Moore said...

Amen!

- Shenita

Unknown said...

Very cool attitude. It's nice when you can finally say you're an actor without that little self-apologetic laugh you talked about. I've got to get to that point. Thank you for blogging this.

Hollie Nell said...

You know what I love about what your wrote? That no matter how long it took you to get to the point where your day job was being an actor, you never thought for a moment that you couldn't do it. Very inspirational!

Anonymous said...

I was reading this and thinking "Stephon left HDC/NYC in 1998? I remember seeing him in between 1998 and 2000".......ah, and then I got to the part when you came back to HDC for a temporary visit or two. :) It all makes sense now!! Good times and a great place to work!

I am going back to NYC this weekend for.....get this.....Thea's wedding! I am going with Ken, his fiance and another friend of mine. I will give you the updates/photos when I return.
xo kb

Stephon Fuller said...

Thanks ladies!!

Hey kb,

I love HDC people so much. I had such a great time there. I'm jealous that you are going back to see some of them. Give me best to Thea and Ken and anyone you see.

Travel safe!

stephon