Sunday, September 10, 2006

I went to a motocross race today in San Bernardino. I almost didn’t go because since I’ve been using my new Quicken financial program I can look at my spending and see the numbers. So now I justify every dollar that goes out. I’m pretty hard on myself too. Even up to last night I still wasn’t sure I was going to spend the money on “entertainment” to attend the event. I also had to consider the “gas budget” for the 140 mile round trip.

So I decided to cancel my three CD workshops I have scheduled for this coming week to equal out the gas a little. Driving to the workshop is 26 miles roundtrip, that’s 78 miles for three days. Instead, I’ll go see the new ABC, NBC, CBS and CW pilots being shown at the MTR; it’s a much closer drive.

I haven’t even bought a new cell phone yet. My phone broke when I was on vacation in July and I’ve been using a back up phone. I can’t send or receive text messages on my back-up phone. Normally, I would have gotten a new phone by now – I kinda like gadgets, not that I have many – I don’t, but Quicken has curbed my appetite.
I justified going because I’ve been really good with the budget, plus it’s something that I enjoy tremendously. I had a lot fun today and the drive wasn’t bad at all. For some reason I like being out in the dirt and getting all sweaty. My mom told me when I was a kid I would pour dirt on my head, fortunately I also like to shower and smell fresh.

I wish I could ride a motorcycle like those guys. Well sorta, it’s really dangerous and my bouncing off the dirt days are hopefully behind me. I didn’t spend any extra money at the park; I brought my own water and made sandwiches to keep cost in order.

Something really funny happened too. Normally, at the races I am one of relatively few African-Americans in attendance. Out of 23,000 people I would guess that maybe 200-300 are Black. I always meet people to “talk motocross” with; I am an avid fan of the sport and love to talk about it.

Most of the day I spent with these two guys and their sons on my right and after a while this other guy and his wife on my left starting asking me question about riders and stuff – all Caucasian on both sides. I must say when the young husband of the couple on my left asked me if I had any sunscreen I was a little caught of guard. For some reason I got a real chuckle out of that. Not that black people shouldn’t use sunscreen, we should, just like our more fair-skinned brethren – White folks.
I grew up riding BMX and bodyboarding/surfing. I spent a lot of days at the track, a lot of days at the beach; with a lot of White folks. None of those White folks EVER asked me if I had any sunscreen!!!! On the outside, I answered like it was a routine question and said, “No, sorry, I don’t”. Like I usually had some of me or I had used it all or something. Inside I was laughing my a** off. I thought it was great that he asked me. I mean why not? Maybe I’m a closet racist or something. I mean really, why am I so surprised by that question? Anyway, I got such a kick out of that and a tan too!

No comments: