Monday, December 18, 2006

Shooting “Brothers & Sisters” @ Disney Studios. This was my first time working on this studio lot and hopefully not the last. I had a quick afternoon of work. I was the only principal in the scene; just me and 3 background players. When I first saw director Michael Lange to thank him for the opportunity and thanked me and said “he hopes it won’t be 3 years before we work together again” (He directed me on “The O.C.” just over 2 years ago.) I was taken aback by that comment and the enthusiasm behind it.

When I arrived on-set I saw a crew member I recognized; so I approached him and introduced myself. We couldn’t figure where we had worked together as he went down his list of recent shows. In all honesty, I haven’t worked that much in recent years. Then it came to him; it was “Love, Inc.”! He even remembered that I had a commercial running at the time and I was just busy. I think I had 6 auditions in the 4 days I worked on the show; so yeah it was a busy week. He then kinda mumbled something to effect of “yeah, you’re out there all over the place”. That’s always kinda weird to me because I feel that I just work occasionally, but I guess I have built up a little “body of work” and that’s the key – create some heat and build a body of work.

We did a quick rehearsal and my stand-in, Shawn, took over while they set up the cameras and lights. It’s always odd to have a stand-in because I prefer to be on-set and in the mix. So after about 4 hours I was finished; I actually worked about a half an hour total. I said goodbye to the crew and Michael who said “we’ll do it again” and was on my way. It feels great to have a TV director at his level know who I am.
"Brothers & Sisters" - Disney Studios - Burbank, CA
Since I haven't heard anything; I'm officially releasing myself from the "Budweiser" avail.....unless they call and book me of course! It's funny, I often hear actors grumble about being put "on avail" and that being "on avail" means nothing - which I think is a silly way of looking at it. Personally, what is more annoying to me is not getting a release from the avail from the casting office. It would be nice to get beyond the "on avail" stage every now and then, but being "on avail means a lot to me. It means my name is floating around my agents office more often and that is a good thing. Matter of fact I was at my commercial agents office this evening and one of the assistants said that very thing - that my name is often in the air over there. That's a great feeling in an office like KSA. '07 is gonna be hot!

No comments: