Friday, February 09, 2007

Audition: “Las Vegas Tourism” @ Kathy Knowles Casting. I get here 4 hours early with hopes of being seen because I'm shooting indie film "Privileged" today. Plus I have another audition I'm trying to get to before my calltime.

I arrive. Oops.....at first, the session runner, Marvin, doesn't think I'm there for the right category; I'm the only African-American guy in the waiting room .....tickticktickticktick...then he says "ah come on in". Once we get to the audition room he checks the master list and, sure enough, I was on it for the "Hero guy".

This brings up something else that shows how great my commercial agents are and how well they know me. I always look at the "race check box" on the SAG audition sign-in sheet. So, so many times I am one of very few African-American males being seen. That convinces me that my agents don't look at me as simply a talented African-American actor, but a talented actor who happens to be African-American - a much better place to be in my opinion. It’s simply a much larger category. My theatrical agents do the same thing.

This audition goes really well and the spot is hilarious. I gotta tell ya, this guy Marvin, that runs the sessions at Kathy Knowles Casting is incredible. I must admit, it took me a couple times of auditioning for him before I got used to his style and learned to appreciate him.

At first he came off as kinda of bitter and callous; then "I" started to "get it". Marvin is my best friend in an audition; he's not bitter or callous he just knows WTF he's doing. He let's an actor know when he/she is on and when they are not. Maybe, since I’ve learned appreciate him is why I get a good number of callbacks and avails at this office.

Next:

I'm scrambling to make it from Santa Monica back to Hollywood to get to this next audition – and it doesn’t look good. I think they are going to be on their lunch break, but all I can do is try my hardest. I don’t like missing auditions.

So I get to The Casting Studios and “Studio 2” looks completely deserted. I could have just walked out then, but I figured I should at least ask someone. So I went to the front desk and explained my situation to the gentleman telling him that I think they may have already broke for lunch. Before he could say anything a woman walked behind me and said “…not yet, sign-in, I’ll take your Poloroid”. YES!!! I made it.

So I signed in and read the copy and saw that there were 3 scientists in the spot. Five minutes pass…..ten Minutes pass and no one shows up. What? So the session runner, Mike, reads it with me and it goes GREAT!! My head is spinning, but I was so happy to make both of auditions and still be able to get to the movie shoot on time.

“Privileged” – Parking - South La Brea –

I arrive and am taken to my trailer to get settled. I see one of the producers, Philippe Denham, and he caught my appearances on “Brothers & Sisters”. I also reunited with one of the other producers Keith Shaw; I spent many sessions as the reader for this film several months ago. Before long we are shuttled to the set for a blocking rehearsal. That is where I met who I’ll be working with, Arlen Escarpeta and Tatyana Ali. We did a few quick rehearsals and then it was back to base camp.

While Arlen and I were in getting our make-up done the make-up lady couldn’t remember which one of us was in “Weeds”. I didn’t say anything at first because I didn’t know if Arlen had done an episode too. One of these days I’ll get used to hearing that people actually see some of the stuff I’ve been on.



Anyway, we get back to set a while later for A LOT of takes and a lot of fun. Acting is always fun for me. Jonah Salander, the director, Arlen and Tatyana were a complete pleasure to work with. I was there quite a bit longer than I thought I would and it was cool I have a feeling I’ll be working with this group again in the future. Whoa!! What a productive day - two and auditions and a job. NEXT!!!!



Arlen Escarpeta, Tatyana Ali and me on set "Privileged".


http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html

2 comments:

schwammy said...

Hey, Stephon, Al Marsh here - just checkin' in with you. Glad your tooth is feeling better. You have no idea how much I enjoy reading your blog. Sorry about the MFAS film festival - I just got too busy in my life - my wife and I just had a baby - plus we're gearing up to shoot two student films back-to-back. It's frustrating because the film festival always coincides EXACTLY with our busiest filmmaking time here. But if you're willing, maybe we could shoot for having you speak at next year's festival? I'll try to get my act together.

Stephon Fuller said...

Hey Al,

No worries. I know you have a lot on your plate with the baby. Congratulations to all of you!

Yeah, we'll shoot for next year.

Stephon