Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Today is the day I give blood at the SAG Headquarters. I used to have a minor phobia of needles, but after my mom passed away I made it a priority to give blood on a more regular basis. I remember once, while giving blood, I was on the phone with my mom and I got word that I booked a role on “Gilmore Girls”, but I couldn’t do it because I was already booked on another show. That was good day. I‘ve been trying to book “Gilmore Girls” again ever since!

Usually, I’m not the greatest at prepping myself for the blood thing; meaning I don’t always eat a meal in the morning of, I don’t always hydrate and I don’t get a lot rest before going in. I’ve never had a problem so I didn’t think too much of it.

This time I decided to do everything “right”. I ate and drank way more than usual yesterday and this morning and I slept like 8-9 hours straight which is really unusual. So I go in and fill out all the paper work, get my temperature taken, ya know all the stuff you gotta do. I’m in the chair, squeezing the ball and my blood is flowing out really well – I usually like to steal a look at the blood bag as it’s filling up. Why? I’m not sure.

When permitted I get up and proceed to the waiting area. It’s California state law that you have to stay there for at least 15 minutes to make sure you’re okay to re-enter the world. I was offered and accepted the usual juice and cookies – I wanted to do this right.

About an hour after I got home I was toast. I could barely function; I couldn’t do anything but lay down and lay down is what I did – for several hours. Normally, after giving blood, I’m ready to go the gym, ride my bike, attend a workshop, go to an audition or anything else I might want or need to do. So what did I learn? I learned that sometimes “the right way” to do things isn’t necessarily “the right way” for me. I think next time my preparation for giving blood is gonna be Jack & Coke on the rocks and a cigarette – Lucky Strike - no filter……

I’m kidding. I just don’t understand what happened. It’s kinda like me not ever wanting to get a flu shot – I’ve never had the flu and I feel like if I get a flu shot I will definitely get the flu - immediately. I’ll have to find a happy medium between my “rock-star” approach to giving blood and “the right way”.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html

No comments: