Tuesday, February 06, 2007

So it’s 9am and I arrive at my dentist, Dr. Rashti’s office; I’m not in a great mood, but when I walk in a kid is waiting in the lobby. I like kids. Then everyone in the office starts talking about how they saw me on “Brothers & Sisters”. I don’t know why that still catches me by surprise anytime someone sees me on the tube, but for some reason it does.

Anyway I sit down beside the kid and say “Sup?” he say responds “Sup?”. That put me in a much better mood and within a couple of minutes me and this 8 year old were kickin’ it about motorcycles, video games, his stepmom – the artist, his favorite subject - math and video game cheat codes. We were definitely connecting until it was my turn to get in the chair.

So I’m in the chair getting ready for my cleaning and explaining the extreme pain I had been in. I say “had been in” because it had mysteriously subsided a great deal. I explained to Dr. Rashti how bad the pain was and she x-rayed the tooth and it looked fine. She poked it, put ice on it and examined it repeatedly and couldn’t find anything wrong. WHAT? Just yesterday I was damn near in a fetal position in extreme pain until my brother Jeff called and laughed at me. I don’t think I ever laughed that hard while in pain. I couldn’t understand why I wasn’t in pain any longer; the Vicodin I had taken just to get to sleep last night had worn off.

Anyway, during the cleaning Dr. Rashti found some other stuff and took another x-ray and asked when I had my wisdom teeth removed. I thought about it for a second and then remembered it was when I was working at The Standard in like 2000 I think. Wow, I hadn’t thought about that for a long time. She then asked if one had broken off while being extracted. I thought…….Oh no, yeah, it was all coming back to me. One DID break and the dentist couldn’t get the broken piece out – which now makes no sense to me. I honestly don’t remember exactly what happened, but I remember it happening. Aw man!!

So I got the bad news that I need have surgery to get the rest of the tooth removed. I also was informed that I grind my teeth really, really bad and need to have a night guard made. This put me in a terrible mood, not like mad at anybody, just frustrated. I left there with my head spinning and just sat in my car damn near tears. I was beside myself. I needed a moment to clear my head – before my audition in a couple of hours.

The last time I had dental surgery I underestimated what I was going through and it all snuck on me. I ended up with a black eye and a swollen face - fo real. This is not nearly as serious, but still it’s just not what I had planned – dental stuff ain’t cheap and my Quicken budget program is asking question like “WTF?”. What to do, what to do.

Alright, I wasn’t going to call the ad agency about my “Michelin” commercial, but I’ll call them tomorrow to see what the status of it is. I don’t wanna commit to paying for this stuff until I can get a clearer picture financially.

Audition: “Xerox” @ TLC/Loree Booth Casting. I always like going here to audition; well I like going most places to audition, but I’ve booked twice here in the past for the legendary commercial director Joe Pytka.

I’m not sure how this went; I just wasn’t all there mentally, but for some reason I wasn’t too concerned. I felt I was right for the spot and they know I can do it and they’ve hired me before. I think I’m right enough for it, so we’ll see. So I left there just not too sure, but that’s okay. You can’t win ‘em all.

No comments: